- Human factor engineering, improving safety and performance in programs and products.
- Air traffic control modeling, experimentation, implementing air traffic safety programs, evaluations of speed and accuracy in emergency situations for aircrew and flight controllers.
- Vehicle driving assessments; age, night-time driving conditions and roadway signage, identifying unsafe driving conditions and characteristics of operators.
- OSHA and BOCA standards ensuring conformance in slip and falls.
Expert Witness Experience
- Qualified testimony in United States Federal Court and State Supreme Courts in numerous states, supporting over 1000 cases, and testifying in over 100 depositions and trials.
- Accident reconstruction and analyses, biomechanics, and human factors services for the legal and insurance industries.
Undisclosed Company, Proprietor and Accident Reconstruction Engineer, 1995 - Present
- Conducting accident analysis, human factors analysis, accident scene inspections, scale map development, vehicle damage measurement, vehicle and occupant movement analyses.
- Reconstruction of low and high speed automobile, truck, and pedestrian accidents.
- Engineering analysis to determine pre-and post-collision vehicle movement and occupant kinematics.
- Investigation of personal injury accidents, including slips, trips, falls and workplace injuries.
- Human factor engineering evaluating the human machine interface to improve safety and performance.
Champ Car, Safety Observer and Technical Inspector, 2000 - Present
- Supervise race team pit operation safety.
- Inspected cars for compliance with safety and technical specifications.
System Resources Corporation and CTA Inc., Principal Investigator, 1989 - 1997
- Air traffic control modeling and experimentation programs.
- Led aviation and air traffic control safety programs evaluating advanced air traffic control procedures and cockpit automation systems.
- Evaluated the speed and accuracy of controller and aircrew responses in emergency situations.
- Supported the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and the Transportation Research Board (TRB) national organizations.
Ketron Incorporated, Human Factors Engineer, 1988 - 1989
- Assessed reduction in driving capability associated with age, night-time driving conditions and reduced roadway sign reflectivity.
- Identified unsafe driving conditions and characteristics of operators which resulted in poor driver performance.
- Evaluated alternate traffic signal designs.
George Widas and Associates, Forensic Engineer, 1988
- Conducted analyses of personal injury accidents for civil litigation cases.
- Cases included analyses of force and movement in automobile and all-terrain vehicle accidents, analyses of personal warning issues associated with occupational injuries, and facility assessments in slip and fall injuries to ensure conformance with OSHA and BOCA standards.
Virginia Tech Engineering, Research Assistant, 1986 - 1987
- Conducted experiments examining driver performance using in-vehicle moving map display systems.
- Evaluated lane keeping, eye movement, and speed maintenance behavior.
System Research Laboratories, Human Factors Engineer, 1985 - 1986
- Conducted analyses of pilot performance in motion-based and fixed-based aircraft simulators. Researched the effects of G-load forces on aircraft pilots.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Professional Ergonomist (CPE), Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics and Human Factors
- Accident Reconstructionist, Accreditation Council for Traffic Accident Reconstructionist (ACTAR)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, HFES American Society of Biomechanics
- National Association of Professional Accident Reconstructionist, NAPARS, New Jersey Association of Accident
- Reconstructionist, NJAAR
- American Society for Testing and Materials, Pedestrian/Walkway Safety and Footwear
- Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE
- American Society of Safety Engineers, ASSE
- International Society of Biomechanics
- Author of numerous publications and presentations.
- M.S. Biomechanical Trauma, Lynn University, Boca Raton FL
- M.S. Human Factors Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- B.S. Systems Engineering and Human Factors, Wright State University, Dayton, OH