Polymer Consultant: Fluoropolymers, Film Extrusion, Tires, Rubber, Adhesives
Technical Consultant #1344
- Fluoropolymer science and technology (polymerization: surfactant systems, C-8 replacement; coatings, processing).
- Polymer film extrusion and orientation.
- Rubber science and technology.
- Thermoplastic elastomers.
- Tire manufacture and testing.
- Radiation technology as related to polymers, coatings and adhesives.
- Coatings and adhesives.
- Rubber latex chemistry, technology and use.
- Environmental aspects of polymer manufacture and processing.
- Technical translations from and to Czech, Slovak and German.
- International liaison and technology transfer.
- Training and education related to polymer science and technology.
Independent Consultant, 1995 - Present
- Expert witness for technology and use of rubber, plastic, adhesives, coating and failure analysis of polymeric systems.
- Polymer product and process development (polymerization, processing).
- Technical translations: Books, articles, patents, manuals (German, Czech, and Slovak, to and from English).
- International liaison with contacts in Europe for negotiations, interpretation and correspondence.
- Technology transfer to and from the US, Europe and India.
- Education and training.
Consulting Practice Part time, 1986 - 1995
- Rubber and plastics processing.
- Adhesives and coatings.
ChemFab Corporation, Merrimack, NH, Sr. Develop Engineer, Staff Scientist, 1989 - 1995
- PTFE, FEP, PFA, PVDF, PCTFE, blends with other polymers, coatings and processing, lamination and bonding.
- Chemistry and polymerization of fluoropolymers.
- Blends of fluoropolymers with other materials such as acrylics.
- Fluoropolymer based composites with glass,"Kevlar", "Nomex" and other reinforcements.
- High-temperature pressure sensitive tapes (PSA) tapes.
- High-barrier films and barrier property optimization in plastic films.
Fulflex, Inc., Middleton, RI, Corporate Manager, New Product Development, 1984 - 1989
- Cut threads and tapes.
- Processing and applications of thermoplastic elastomers (TPE).
- Radiation processing of elastomers and plastics.
- Heat shrinkable plastic films.
- Foams produced from solid rubber and latex.
- Plastic film extrusion and film production.
- Film orientation.
- Laser applications for rubber and plastics.
Plymouth Rubber Co., Canton, MA, Technical Director, Roofing Products, 1982 - 1984
- Roofing materials (EPDM, PVC).
- Electrical insulation tapes.
- Adhesives, including specialty adhesives for unique applications.
- TPE sheeting.
Beloit-Manhattan, Inc., Clarks Summit, PA, Assistant Director of R&D, 1978 - 1982
- Rubber covered rolls, wheels and chemical tanks and pipes.
- Rubber belting.
- Rubber to metal bonding.
- Roll engineering (bending, crowns).
Carlisle Tire and Rubber Co., Carlisle, PA, Manager, Product Development, 1971 - 1977
- Tires (bicycle, boat trailer, golf carts, garden tractors).
- Radiator hose.
- Adhesives and sealants.
- Polyurethane chemistry and technology.
- EPDM rubber roofing and pond-liners.
B.F. Goodrich International Co., Akron, OH, Senior Product Engineer, 1966 -1970
- Tires (passenger, truck, airplane).
- Butyl rubber inner tubes.
Deutsche Dunlop AG, Hanau/Main, Germany, Chemist, 1965 - 1966
- Repair materials for tires and tubes.
Matador Rubber Works, Bratislava, Slovak Republic, Group Leader
- Technical rubber (hose, conveyor belting, flooring, seals).
- Rubber covered rolls and wheels; rubber tank liners.
- Chemistry and processing to produce sponge and foams.
- Latex chemistry and technology.
- Electrical insulators and materials.
- Adjunct Faculty, Plastics Engineering, U/Mass at Lowell. Seminars on Fluoropolymers, Radiation Technology and Electrical Properties of Polymers.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant (Physics of Polymers), University of Akron.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society (Polymer and Rubber Divisions)
- Society of Plastics Engineers
- ASM International
- Association of Consulting Chemists and Chemical Engineers
Publications and Patents
- Two books on Rubber Technology (1962 and 1967 in Czech and Slovak respectively).
- Book on Fluoropolymer Technology
- Book on Radiation Technology for Polymers
- Book on Thermoplastic Elastomers
- Author for Fluoroplastics Review
- Chapter on Process Selection in The Manual of Plastic Part Manufacturing, Society of Manufacturing Engineers.
- Coauthor of three patents in fluoropolymer technology, and one on radiation processing.
- Translated two books and over 200 articles in Plastics and Rubber Technology from German to English.
- Presented many papers in national and international conferences.
- MBA Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA
- M.S. Poly. Science, Inst. of Polymer Science, University of Akron, OH
- M.S. Chemical Eng., Technical University Prague, Czech Republic
- Doctoral Program, Institute of Polymer Science, University of Akron, OH