Architectural Consultant: Hospital and Health Care
Technical Consultant #1331
- Registered Architect (AIA) in South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina.
- Certified Building Official (CBO); International Code Congress.
- Chief Building Code analyst.
- Expert in building code usage and interpretation.
- Chief Plumbing Code analyst.
- Chief Mechanical Code analyst.
- Accessibility Inspector and Plans Examiner.
- Deputy State Fire Marshal.
- Competent in Architectural Desktop 2006 AutoCAD.
Hospital Group Alliance, Facilities Architect 2006 to Present
- Cost estimating for capital budgets, code consultation, and production of schematic through contract documents for small projects.
- Projects to date include 5th Floor MICU Renovations, CNRA Staff and Lockers Renovation, 7 Medical Park Radiation Therapy Renovations for SC Oncology Associates, and Renovations for Radiation Recovery..
- Projects in progress include Statement of Conditions compliance work and Bariatric Patient Room.
Budget & Control Board, Columbia, SC 1995 - 2006
- Procurement Code (contracting) and Code Review and Compliance (Building Codes and inspections).
- Responsibility for ESF#3 Public Works Support Function with the Emergency Management Division,
- Procurement code duties involving knowledge of the SC Consolidated Procurement Code, its application to construction of permanent and non-permanent improvements.
- Dispute management, contract dispute resolution and mediation activities.
- Building Code duties including review of schematic, design development, contract documents and specifications prior to issuing construction approval.
Richland Memorial Hospital, Columbia, SC, Facilities Architect 1990 - 1995
- Monitoring of architectural projects. Supervised and produced construction drawings.
GMK Associates, Inc., Columbia, SC, Project Architect 1985 - 1990
- Client interviews, construction documents and limited construction administration.
- Significant projects included the McLeod Women's Hospital, McLeod Family Practice Facility.
- Numerous smaller projects at Richland Memorial Hospital
JMBW Associates, Inc., Columbia, SC, Project Architect 1980 - 1985
- Health care projects including the Baptist Neo-natal floor/ER addition.
SCDHEC, Columbia, SC, Architect, Director of Facilities Construction 1978 - 1980
- Plans and Codes review of health facilities licensed by the state..These were any new construction or renovations to hospitals, nursing homes, ICF, ambulatory surgeries.
- Plan review was for compliance with SBCCI and NFPA and SCDHEC regulation.
- Building inspections and development of SCDHEC Guidelines for Design Professionals.
Freeman-White Associates, Columbia, SC, Architect & Branch Office Manager 1975 - 1978
- Supervised five employees; promoted business for the branch and thome office in Charlotte, NC.
- Projects were health care related and included McLeod Regional Medical Center projects, Tourney Hospital, Kershaw County Memorial Hospital.
SCDHEC, Columbia, SC, Architect 1974 - 1975
- Plans and codes review of health facilities licensed by the state of South Carolina, including any new construction or renovations to hospitals, nursing homes, ICF's, or ambulatory surgeries.
- Plan review was for compliance with SBCCI, NFPA and SCDHEC regulations; building inspections and development of SCDHEC Guidelines for Design Professionals.
- Significant other projects include Camp Burnt Gin master plan and Swimming Pool & Bathhouse.
Clemson University, Clemson, SC, Instructor/Assistant Professor 1972 - 1974
- Teaching and research assignments. Courses of instruction involved architectural design in the Health Care Facilities (Graduate) Studio & Health Administration (facilities).
- Research activities involved assisting Prof. Means with the research and establishment of the Village System for the SC Department of Mental Health. Realized with the completion of the Webber Bryan Psychiatric Treatment, and The Earl E. Morris Drug & Addiction Facility in Columbia, SC.
Honors & Publications
- Published the first ESF#3 Public Works & Debris SOP able to be certified by EMD.
- Published two editions of the OSE CD-rom with 'fill-able' forms and html pages and inter operability.
- Published the OSE Manual in searchable PDF format with bookmarks.
- Attended FEMA Recovery and Debris Management course at the National Fire Academy.
Masters of Architecture (M.Arch), Clemson University, College of Architecture, Clemson, SC
- Studies were in Health Care Facilities Design.
- Minor concentration in administration.
- Major projects were the development of the Village System (Weber Bryan Psychiatric Hospital and the Earl E. Morris Additions Treatment Facility.
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch), NC State University, School of Design, Raleigh, NC