- Identification of post-translational protein modifications (phosphoproteins)
- Peptide mapping and protein ID by LC/MS/MS
- Analytical ultracentrifugation
- Mass spec analysis of proteins, peptides, organic molecules by LC/MS
- Automated protein purification and electrophoresis
- Immunological Techniques
Merck & Co., West Point, PA 1986-2005
Senior Research Fellow (1994-2005)
- Evaluated new protein analytical platforms and performed protein analysis for all proteins submitted for x-ray crystallography.
- Purified recombinant proteins for HCV, CMV, HIV programs.
- Set up assays for proteases, kinases, and viral enzymes.
- Determined solubility properties of all compounds slated for structural studies.
- Set-up protein analysis group within Department of Structural Biology improving consistency and timeliness of data to scientists; 2rote SOPs for protein sample submission, use of instruments, and analysis of data.
- Introduced and implemented mass spectrophotometry, light scattering, Thermofluor, high-throughput mass spec analysis of proteins improving protein analysis and quality control.
- Implemented techniques to purify and crystallize membrane proteins.
- Introduced limited proteolysis to identify functional domains in drug targets such as Kinases.
- Active member of Research Technologies Review & Licensing Committee.
Research Fellow (1986-1993)
- Focused on purifying proteins for various research programs; developed assays for viral proteases and exploratory cancer targets.
- Developed assays for inhibitors of blood coagulation.
- Set-up screen and counter screens for endothelin converting enzymes.
- Identified and purified novel anticoagulant proteins from ticks and hookworms.
- Purified and characterized retroviral protease from avian myeloblastosis virus.
- Purified and characterized membrane-bound endothelin converting enzyme from cultured cells.
- Identified sites of cleavage in p55 GAG by HIV protease.
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 1980-1986
Senior Research Associate
- Oversaw daily laboratory management, trained new team members, and wrote grants.
- Studied Proteases and Protein breakdown, Laboratory Alfred L. Goldberg, Department of Physiology and Biophysics.
University of California, Davis, CA 1976-1979
Research Associate and Lecturer (1977-1979)
- Carried out structural analysis of protein kinases, Laboratory of Donal A. Walsh, Department of Biological Chemistry. Supported by fellowship from NIH.
Postdoctoral Fellow (1976-1977)
- Purified and characterized protein kinases, Laboratory of Edwin G. Krebs, Department of Biological Chemistry. Supported by fellowship from Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 1974-1976
- Analyzed phoshoproteins in red blood cell membranes, Laboratory of Dr. Guido Guidotti, Department of Biochemistry. Supported by fellowship from American Leukemia Society.
Academic Work Experience
- Lecturer in Biochemistry, U.C. Davis Medical School, Davis, CA
- Teaching Fellow in Biochemistry, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Teaching Fellow in Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Research Assistant in Physics, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistant in Physics, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
Honors & Publications
PhD., Biophysics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
M.A., Physics, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
B.A., Physics, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA