- Industrial mineral and mining products -marketing, sales, distribution logistics, and sales representation.
- Titanium oxide pigments, rutile, and anatase TiO2.
- Pigment handling equipment.
- Paper industry pigments and paper testing equipment
- International sales representation for industrial minerals and titanium dioxide.
Independent Consultant 2001- Present
- Represents sales and promotions of both domestic and overseas manufacturers of minerals, pigments and associated equipment.
- Negotiated an agreement to represent Alcan Chemicals directly as the sales and marketing representative for GenBrite (ATH) in the North American paper industry.
- Represent Kalamazoo Paper Chemicals as their sales and marketing representative for potato starch, TiO2, fluorochemicals and paper testing equipment in the North American paper industry.
GAC Chemical Corporation, Corporate Vice President, Sales & Marketing 1997 - 2001
- Recruited to turnaround three years of declining sales for a privately held chemical company.
- Grew sales 10% in first full year of involvement, with an additional 17% of sales growth the second year.
- Directed and managed two US sales groups
- Developed and marketed a new paper brightener product (GenBrite) to the paper industry.
Nord Resources Corporations, Corporate Vice President, Sales & Marketing 1984 - 1997
- Primarily responsible for Nord Kaolin's transition from a commodity oriented kaolin company to a specialty kaolin company focused on the market introduction and development of "Norplex," a proprietary composite pigment technology.
- Industry wide market analysis to strategically determine market size, product landscape within the North American paper market.
- The development and implementation of a five year business plan for a $40mm expansion designed to change the orientation of the company to a specialty business.
- Led growth of "Norplex" market share within North American paper industry from 0 to 10% in six years.
- Grew sales revenues from $0 to $20 million in six years.
- Directed and managed a global sales/marketing group.
- Transitioned the worldwide sales of rutile (TiO2) ore from outside international sales agents to direct corporate sales representation for Nord's Sierra Rutile, Ltd. Ultimately responsible for the reorganization and sales of 25% of the world's rutile ore reserves.
- Extensive travel throughout the U.S., Canada, Europe and Australia to establish direct customer sales contacts, negotiate contracts and schedule worldwide product movement.
- Successfully found market for rutile by-products.
- Became intimate with worldwide logistics, product movement, shipping and international distribution.
- Helped organize company's London-based transportation group, which directed the shipment of African ore to worldwide market.
- Key participant in both the discovery of our international sales agents' malfeasance and in the subsequent legal proceedings (International Arbitration Court), that resulted in Nord Resources being awarded substantial damages.
Corporate, General Sales Manager 1981 - 1984
- Sales & Marketing responsibilities for Nord's newly acquired Petroleum Division (Nord Montara); coordinated special project group to evaluate potential corporate acquisitions; continued to direct and manage sales and marketing group for Nord Kaolin.
General Sales Manager, Nord Kaolin Company 1997 - 1981
- Negotiated initial contract with International Paper, which became foundation for 20 years of success.
- Successfully sold out plant's production capacity, three months into Nord's first year of ownership.
- Doubled kaolin sales in two years and ultimately tripled sales in five years.
Honors & Publications
- T.A.P.P.I. (Technical Association of Pulp & Paper Industry)
- PIMA (Paper Industry Management Association)
- Industrial Minerals Association
B.A., Cum Laude, Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts