Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Drug Development
- Marketing, product lifecycle management.
- Pharmaceutical portfolio analysis.
- Drug clinical trials, FDA filings, FDA strategy.
- Technology and product licensing, business development, transactions.
- Business and commercial analysis, market assessment, market research.
- Forecasting, valuation and drug portfolio management.
- Intellectual property.
- Biogeneric development and market entry.
Undisclosed Company, Chief Operating Officer, 2016 - Present
- Pre-IPO, Series B private gene editing, for this gene therapy company.
- First recruit into the management team by Series A investors to help launch the company.
- Lead operations, real estate negotiations, facilities management, information technology, recruiting, human resources, finance, deal flow, partnerships, pipeline strategy, indication prioritization and manufacturing operations.
- Defined business development, partnering strategy and drove a competitive BD process leading to five term sheets from large pharmaceutical and large biotechnical businesses as potential partners within the first 10 months of company operations.
- Negotiated and closed company's first research and development partnership deal in a multi-target, 5-year collaboration with Novartis in Q4 2017.
- Refined company pipeline strategy and prioritization in collaboration with CSO and the research and development team.
- Participated in Series B financing activities with management team resulting in a capital raise of $83.5 million.
- Drove new product planning and strategic pre-commercial activities for the company's lead pipeline program.
- Currently driving and executing on the company's BD strategy, aiming to close 1-2 additional research partnership deals with significant non-dilutive financing for the company.
Shire Pharmaceuticals, Vice President and Head, New Products, 2011 - 2016
- Rare Diseases Business Unit (former Shire Human Genetic Therapies).
- Formulated a robust growth strategy in orphan diseases; developed and led therapeutic area strategy for research and development and BD for expansion of Shire's research and development and commercial portfolio of orphan disease therapies.
- Identified and championed investment strategies, licensing and Merger and acquisition activities in novel disease areas, platforms and technologies, including new franchise diversification and business unit creation initiatives to support growth of the business.
- Established a robust research and development pipeline commercialization process with future reimbursement, access and payer strategies in mind.
- Led new product planning, positioning and pre-launch investments in pipeline products, working closely with research and development program teams to drive outcome-driven, value creating activities early in the drug development process.
- Developed a Go-to-Market Model for commercial launch of orphan drugs, adopted as a tool across brand marketing teams in the Rare Disease Business Unit for brand plans and commercial launch activities.
- Partnered with commercial franchises, marketing teams to drive franchise strategies and lifecycle management activities for inline brands.
Endo Pharmaceuticals, 2008 - 2011
Director,Corporate Development, 2010 - 2011
Director, Strategic Marketing, 2008 - 2010
- Drove in-licensing, merger and acquisitions, commercial strategy and portfolio diversification in oncology, urology and pain management.
- Identified and sourced novel products and technologies for licensing and acquisition in congruence with corporate strategy.
- Led scientific and commercial evaluation of in-licensing opportunities to provide go and no-go decisions for deal execution.
- Working with legal and finance, structured deals and negotiated transactions for maximal return to Endo.
- Provided commercial input and strategic recommendations to the CEO and the Executive Team on new areas of franchise growth and diversification.
Glaxso Smith Kline, Research and Development, 2004 - Present
Director of Portfolio Management, Business and Commercial Analysis, Global Commercial Strategy
- Responsible for managing the overall process for portfolio management across discovery and development across GlaxoSmithKline research and development to facilitate leverage of maximum commercial return and competitive advantage from the development and marketing of products and other investments.
- Led and contributed to the development of appropriate methodologies and approaches for assessing the commercial value of the research and development portfolio, including facilitation of discussions with project teams and senior research and development managers.
- Analyzed, prepared and presented cross-portfolio valuation outputs to senior decision-making groups in the Centers for Excellence in Drug Discovery, Medicine Development Centers and Global Commercial Strategy, including the portfolio context for progression decisions to Product Management Board.
- Coordinated and headed the effort required within various GSK therapeutic areas, including Cardiovascular, Infectious Diseases, Inflammation, Gastrointestinal, Metabolic, Musculoskeletal, Oncology and Urology, to provide transparent valuation of disease area assets and investment options for resource allocation and project progression decisions.
ConRas Healthcare Consulting, Newtown, PA, Managing Director, 2002 - 2004
- Wrote the business plan for a U.S. based, therapeutic product-focused biotech spin-off of Amaxa Biosystems, a German developer of novel electroporation-based gene delivery technologies, devices and associated consumables.
- Through a joint venture with GSK Ventures negotiated the terms of the technology license from Amaxa and GSK Ventures and served as the liaison between the two organizations through all phases of deal negotiation.
- Designated as the CEO of the new spin-off by both founding companies with additional work during this period included strategy and technology consulting to biopharmaceutical companies.
Amaxa Biosystems, Cologne, Germany, Director of Business Development, 2002
- Managed Amaxa Biosystem's corporate development and strategic planning efforts in North America including technology licensing, formation of industrial and academic partnerships and major contributions to the company's clinical product development strategy.
- Amaxa, a German developer of novel electroporation-based gene delivery technologies, devices and associated consumables.
The Frankel Group, New York, NY, Consultant, 2001 - 2002
- Provided management strategy consulting for healthcare, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device and diagnostic companies as well as venture capital investment advisory services for Equity4Life AG, a life sciences venture capital fund based in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Consulting projects included research and development franchise strategy development, market assessments and Key Opinion Leader interviews for major pharmaceutical and biotechnology client companies including Johnson & Johnson, Centocor and Ortho Biotech.
- Venture capital advisory work included deal due-diligence, valuation analyses and scientific, commercial assessments of private biotech company business plans and deal flow for Equity4Life's fund managers.
ConRas Consulting, Wilmington, DE, Principal, 2000 - 2001
- Provided consulting services to biotechnology companies on technology due-diligence, competitive assessments, market research, intellectual property licensing and other business development related issues.
Genovo, Inc., Philadelphia, PA, 1996 - 2000
Manager, Technology Assessment and External Collaborations, 1998 - 2000
- Strategic planning of the company's short and long-term product development efforts in gene therapeutics.
- Due-diligence of emerging outside enabling technologies for competitiveness, potential impact and utility to the company; sourcing of industrial and academic partners for technology development and serving as the company's key interface with corporate partners, collaborators and scientific consultants, executing ensuing agreements and contracts.
- Licensing of patents and enabling technologies to advance the company's research and development effort.
- Management of company-sponsored academic/industrial research and development collaborations and partnered preclinical studies; close interaction with the company's outside patent counsel for drafting, filing and prosecution of patents.
Senior Scientist and Group Leader, 1998
- Drafted Genovo's scientific workplan and managed a preclinical research team of four scientists focusing on the discovery, evaluation and development of novel viral vectors for gene therapy.
Research Scientist, Genovo, Inc.,1996 - 1998
- As the first Ph.D. Scientist recruited to Genovo, a private gene therapy company initially funded by Biogen, Inc. in a $36 million equity investment, responsibilities included the planning and implementation of the company's initial Research and Development program and recruitment of research and development staff.
Honors & Publications
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA.
Publications and Patents
- Five peer-reviewed publications.
- Nine conference abstracts and presentations.
- Complete lists furnished upon request.
- Two patent applications.
- Ph.D. Biochemistry, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
- M.B.A. Executive M.B.A. Program,Villanova University Philadelphia, PA
- B.S. Biochemistry, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA