Intellectual Property Strategist and Technology Valuation Expert
Technical Consultant #1236
- Technology licensing, particularly chemicals and polymers.
- Negotiations associated with technology licensing.
- Trademark licensing programs.
- Development of strategies to beneficially use patent estate to satisfy Federal regulations.
- Development of and support for historic corporate IP donation programs.
- Kevlar;® and Nomex;® aramid fiber applications technology and business development.
Independent Consultant, 2004 - Present
- Maintained a leadership role and generated target revenues in licensing selected polymerization technologies for a major chemical company's coatings business. Negotiated transfer of technology to Australian partner.
- Supported corporate tax and business projects associated with historic IP donations.
- Provided guidance around technology licensing of a major NJ-based consulting company for a polyolefin catalyst project, and materials selection for a small PA-based consulting company for an elastomers project.
- Successfully structured arrangement and created licensing agreement between gelled fragrance technology inventors and several licensees.
- Working with small MD-based company to develop and implement business strategies to capitalize on recently developed patent estate to satisfy Federal regulations.
- Assisting Cornell University in marketing undergraduate and graduate science and engineering degree candidates.
E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, DuPont Growth Initiatives, Wilmington, DE, 1998 - 2004
Business/Technology Licensing Director
- Achieved licensing and IP donation objectives for 4-5 SBUs by providing technology mining leadership, guidance on technology value, and leading/contributing to structuring and negotiating licensing and donation agreements. Contributed to doubling of DuPont Chemical and Specialties licensing revenue.
- Created initial corporate process for IP donation, completed first DuPont donation, and six overall, each with a value of more than several million dollars.
Applications Technology Manager - Special Assignment, Advanced Fibers Systems (AFS), 1995 - 1998
- Created and launched strategic Nomex;® Industrial Protective Apparel and Nomex;® Omega;® Firefighter Protective Apparel Product and Trademark Licensing Program. Led the development of technical specifications, and developed and negotiated licensing agreements with all key yarn, fabric and garment manufacturers.
Applications Technology Manager, Advanced Fibers Systems, Wilmington, DE, 1990 - 1995
- Met key technical objectives for the AFS Americas business by successful leadership of Applications Research and Technical Marketing organization of 10-20 professionals.
- Examples include development and launch of lightweight military vests and helmets, and new reduced heat stress firefighter turnout concept.
Applications Technology Manager, Advanced Fibers Systems, Wilmington, DE
- Founded and led Global Aramid Technology Network to leverage AFS Americas' knowledge and capabilities to grow business globally.
- Contributed to AFS Americas and AFS Global Teams in achieving business objectives.
- Led advertising claim and product liability efforts to maximize competitive position and limit exposure.
Contributor to AFS implementation of gated development process (PACE).
European Technical Manager, Engineering Fibre Systems, Geneva, Switzerland, 1987 - 1989
- Met key technical objectives for the Kevlar;® Europe business by successful leadership of Applications Research and Technical Marketing organization of 6-8 professionals. Supported AFS European and AFS Global Steering Teams in achieving business objectives.
- Led Kevlar;® new product development and introduction, and established and managed coordinated product stewardship with competitor, Akzo.
- Represented European market needs in design and construction of Maydown, Northern Ireland, Kevlar® manufacturing facility.
R&D Management and Market Strategy Positions, Wilmington, DE and Richmond, VA, 1979 - 1986
R&D Professional Positions, Camden SC and Wilmington, DE, 1973 - 1979
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Commercial Development and Marketing Association
- Licensing Executive Society
- Sigma Xi
- DuPont Fibers Marketing Excellence Award
- DuPont Sustainable Growth Excellence Award
Publications and Patents
- Author of over 25 publications and presentations
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- M.E. Chemical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY