- Catalytic processes for oxidation, amination and hydrogenation.
- Ethylene glycol and ethanol amine manufacture, process engineering and chemical plant design.
- Economic evaluation and financial analysis of chemical processes.
- Computer automation of chemical processes including sensors, feedback loops and computer control.
- Chemical reaction systems design and control.
- Fluid dynamics.
- Computer networking, modeling, process simulation and control systems.
Dow Chemical Company
- Expertise in catalytic processes for oxidation, amination, hydrogenation and metathesis.
- Co-invented and directed the team developing and engineering a new catalytic process to manufacture Ethlyene Glycol.
- Organized and managed the Engineering Science and Technical Computing organization. Managed 30+engineers who provided expertise in reaction systems, fluid dynamics, computer networking, modeling, simulation, and numerically intense computing.
- Co-designed epoxidation reactors for propylene oxide / styrene processes.
- Directed a global team who envisioned and re-engineered R&Dâ€™s systems architecture. Led the introduction of super computing usage into Dow.
- Managed team that developed Dowâ€™s laboratory data acquisition and control system. Wrote the control methods and designed the user-interface for almost 1000 systems installed in Dow research laboratories.
- Developed a reactive distillation process for the manufacture of sodium ethoxide for production of an agricultural intermediate.
CEO, Website Consultants
- Co-founded Website Consultants, a privately held company that specializes in information technology consulting. Expertise is offered for information system architecture, networking and software development.
- Co-founded MIND, Inc. a non-profit Internet service provider and network development company. MIND provides Internet access to the Mid-Michigan Educational Community and provides Windows 2000 and UNIX servers for software development.
Honors & Publications
- Doug Leng Award for Excellence in Engineering.
- Patents for metathesis and oxydehydrogenation reactor designs.
- Patent on design for epoxidation reactors.
- Patent on a time proportioning controller.
- 60 technical papers with a focus on reaction technology, computer and communication systems and their use to automate processes at Dow.
- Masters Program, Financial Management Systems, Central Michigan University
- B.S., Chemical Engineering/Mathematics, Ohio State University