- Senior technical consulting service for all aspects of PTFE and other fluoropolymer products and applications.
- Extensive knowledge of fluoropolymer applications in the chemical processing industry.
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) fine powder formulation processing and PTFE applications.
- PTFE dispersion, formulations, and applications.
- PTFE plant design, start-up and capacity/quality impairments at DuPont manufacturing sites and multiple PTFE plants in India and China.
- Paste extrusion of PTFE fine powder resins.
- Nafion® fluorinated sulfonic acid polymer and Nafion copolymers.
- Tedlar® polyvinyl fluoride (PVF) copolymer resins and films.
- Adhesion and bonding of plastic parts, specializing in the bonding of fluoropolymers.
- Fluoropolymer part design and optimization, including failure analysis of plastic parts.
Development leader for the commercialization and marketing of Teflon NXT and Teflon® 62XT.
- Multilayer plastic films.
- Fluoropolymer biologics bags for pharmaceutical and biotechnology applications.
- Fluoropolymer film lamination, extrusion coating and addressing adhesion issues and surface modification.
- Fluoropolymer coatings and pigment dispersion technology.
- Melt extrusion of polyvinyl fluoride polymers (PVF).
- Environmental aspects of PTFE based laminates.
- Twin screw extrusion of nylon, polyester, PVC and PVF.
- Flame retardancy of plastics.
- Commercialization of polymer and durable PVF coatings in primer and topcoat products.
- Thirty nine years of technical writing and publication.
- Product and Cycle Time Excellency (PACE) methodology for development of projects.
- Coal liquefaction (doctoral dissertation).
Independent Consultant, 2006 - Present
- Through a privately owned corporation, provided the clients with high level technical consulting, primarily related to fluoro-homopolymers (PTFE) and fluoro-copolymers (TFE, PFA, FEP).
- Assisted global companies with fluoropolymer manufacturing facilities, product quality, grade development and application/end-use development.
- Solved problems related to parts, films and coatings utilizing fluoropolymer materials.
DuPont, Wilmington, DE, 1982 - 2006
- Provide twenty seven years of hands-on experience with fluoropolymer technologies at DuPont plants and development centers. Experience Including polytetrafluoroethylene and copolymers products in areas of: Polymerization, finishing, fabrication of parts and coatings, surface treatment, product development, failure analysis, market development and technical service.
- Consulting support of nine years in various operations with polyvinyl fluoride (Tedlar PVF) films and coatings.
- Three years' experience in nylon and polyester extrusion spinning processes.
DuPont Fluoroproducts, Wilmington, DE, 1986 - 2006
Senior Research Associate, (New Growth Ventures), 2003 - 2005
- Team leader for material selection, design and application development of biologics bags, liquid pharmaceutical packaging, electroless Ni-PTFE composites, Nafion and fabrics resistant to chemical-biological warfare agents.
- Support of new fluoropolymer architecture programs.
- Develop new applications, products and processes using fluorinated and non-fluorinated materials
- Lead multidisciplinary teams of researchers and technicians.
- Provide technology/business advice to senior management.
- Developed electroless Ni-PTFE coatings.
- Developed microcoaxial wires for wireless devices.
- Developed multiplayer films of fluoroplastics and thermoplastics.
- Developed multiple durable fabrics using carbon, fluoropolymer and membranes of Nafion for a project funded by the U.S. Military.
Senior Technical Consultant, (Technical Sales and Applications Development-DuPont), 1999 - 2003
- Team leader for new products, application development and customer support.
- Supported all Teflon PTFE fine powder and dispersion products for North and South America and Asia Pacific.
- Technology guardian for all PTFE applications.
- Lead team of professionals and technicians in support of global market share growth.
- Contributed to increased global market share of 5 points.
- Developed and commercialized a new fine powder (Teflon 62XT, GB verification project) and four dispersion PTFE products using Six Sigma methodologies (2003 contribution $1.8 million).
- Provided technical consulting regarding PTFE expansions, acquisitions and investment around the globe.
Technical Consultant (Technical Sales, Applications Development), 1994 - 1999
- Technical representative for Teflon PTFE granular and micropowder resins.
- Customer support, application and product development.
- Developing new products for new customers and for new applications.
- Competitive analysis and intellectual property for new technology.
- Led PACE team that developed and commercialized a new line of modified granular PTFE resins (Teflon NXT) using PACE.
- Developed and patented technology for non-destructive identification of fluoropolymer resins and parts.
- Developed and patented new efficient PTFE part sintering process.
Research Associate, (DuPont Fluoropolymers - Research and Development Group, 1993 - 1994
- Research professional working in the DuPont Experimental Station.
- Developing new low-pressure PVF polymers.
- PVF coating product development.
- Developed low-pressure polymerization of Vinyl Fluoride (VF) and PVF-based exterior coatings.
- Developed polymer and durable coatings using a PVF primer and topcoat being commercialized by DuPont Fluoropolymer Solutions in South America.
Senior Technical Specialist, (Du Pont Polymer Products, Buffalo, NY, Tedlar PFV), 1989 - 1993
- Technical support for aerospace and surface transportation and new-product development for Tedlar PVF films. ($18 million business revenue).
- Lead representative for assisting customers that were developing new products.
- Developing new products and applications.
- Supporting customers using Tedlar PVF films in aerospace and surface transportation markets.
- Development and commercialized low flammability Tedlar PVF films for aerospace and surface transportation applications.
- Solved thermal stability and flame resistance issues of aircraft and surface transportation films.
- Led a team to expand lab ($1.5 million expenditure) and moved technical service lab from Wilmington, DE to Buffalo, NY.
- Developed and patented a new aerospace laminate for aircraft interior wall.
Research Engineer II (Du Pont Polymer Products, Buffalo, NY, Tedlar), 1986 - 1989
- New product and process development TedlarPVF films.
- Developed conductive PVF films using novel fillers.
- Developed a new manufacturing process for PVF extrusion using twin-screw extrusion to streamline single screw process.
Research Engineer I, (Du Pont Fibers, Martinsville, VA, Nylon Research and Development), 1982 - 1986
- New product development and process support for nylon and polyester fibers.
- Developed and patented special cationic dye able nylon and polyester co-spun fiber.
Honors & Publications
- Dissertation: Dissolution of Coal in Solvents, University of Michigan
- Coatings Technology
- Adhesion Technology
- Product & Cycle Time Excellence (PACE)
- Six Sigma - Green Belt Certification
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Publishing editor for series plastics, elastomers and adhesives.
- Series editor for fluorocarbon handbook.
- Professional Member, Society of Plastics Industry - Fluoropolymers Division.
- Senior Member, Society of Plastics Engineers.
- Phi Lambda Upsilon (Chemical Honorary Society)
- Affiliations Member editorial board of Journal of ASTM International.
Publications and Patents
- Prolific technical writer; author, co-author and editor with writings for educational text books, national and international presentations, handbooks and peer reviewed journals.
- 8 patents issued.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Harbor, MI
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Harbor, MI
- B.S. Chemical Engineering University of Tehran, Iran