- H2O2 oxidizers, phosphorus compounds and sodium carbonate.
- New industrial chemical process conceptualization, process economics and competitive evaluation.
- New process and product design and development chemical engineer consultant.
- Process equipment operation and specialization: Solids handling, kiln, crystallizer, spray dryer electrostatic precipitator, electrochemical cells, and microreactor technology.
- Skilled at process mathematical simulation, heat and mass transfer, use of 'Fluent' CFD code.
- Hazard analysis and environment remediation.
- Separation technology, including protein separation.
- New process conceptualization.
- Process and product development and design.
- Mathematical simulation.
- Microreactor technology.
- Environment remediation.
- Biofuels process development.
Independent Consultant, 2000 - Present
- Consulting in various areas including new process development, environmental abatement, crystallization, aerogel, microreactor development, and solar cell CVD.
Projects and Products
- Oxidizers (hydrogen peroxide, persulfates, peracetic acid)
- Elemental phosphorus, phosphates
- Sodium carbonate
- Caro's acid
- Organophosphates (flame retardants and plasticizers)
- Barium and strontium chemicals
- Chlorinated cyanurates
- Carbon bisulfide
- Tantalum compounds
- Lithium compounds
FMC Corporation, Senior Principal Research Engineer
- As Principal Developer of a high-pressure process to render phosphorus electric furnace solid and liquid waste non-hazardous. Development spanned lab, pilot and design of commercial plant. ($100 million).
- Designer of a process to produce ultra-pure hydrogen peroxide (at the 1 ppb or less level). Work included lab development through design and operation of actual plant. Resulted in $2 million per year added sales of H2O2.
- Principal Developer of a process to produce caro's acid (H2SO5) for use in detoxifying cyanide bearing waste tailings from gold mines. Resulted in $2 million per year added sales of H2O2.
- Technical and economic analysis, including competitor evaluation, for the acquisition of Lithco Corp by FMC Corp. ($140 million).
- Designed a hazardous material warehouse to store persulfates.
- Mathematical analysis of simultaneous underground tailings disposal and soda ash solution mining to explain behavior of injection wells.
- Mathematical simulations, including: (a) solar waste lake, (b) traveling grate calciner,(c) self-accelerating rate decompositions including safety implications.
- Protein purification by microporous sheets using derivatized cellulose.
- Doubled capacity of crystallizer and improved thermal efficiencies with thermocompressor.
- Increased raw material efficiency of cyanurate chlorinators by 20%.
- Evaluated theoretical process improvement in stockpile-reclaimer project ($10 million).
- Increased through put of strontium carbonate plant.
Manhattan College, Bronx, NY, Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, 1967 - 1970
- Instructor for fluid mechanics, heat transfer, non-Newtonian flow, thermodynamics, transport phenomena, materials science.
- Taught calculus at R.P.I.
General Electric Co. , Schenectady, NY. Research Engineer, 1965 - 1967
- Metal and air-cathode fuel cell development, heat exchanger stability analysis.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, Graduate Assistant Instructor, 1964 - 1965
- Taught calculus I and II
Honors & Publications
- Registered Professional Engineer, NJ
- Liaison with Separation Research Program at University of Texas
- Fluent CFD liaison and development person
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Tau Beta Pi
- Sigma Xi
- Phi Lambda Upsilon
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of publications: Peer reviewed journals, book chapters, international symposiums, and encyclopedia series.
- 21 U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY
- S.M. Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- S.B. Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA