Organo Fluorine and Chloro Silicone Chemical Consultant
Technical Consultant #1140
More than 40 years of chemical consulting and technical programs in these areas:
- Fluorine chemicals and compounds
- Chemical process engineering
- Silicon chemistry
- Organofluorine processing
- Silicon intermediate processing
- Silane chemistry
- Tetrachloro silane (SiCl4)
- Fluorosilicone elastomers
1963 - 2001 Dow Dow Corning Corporation
- Various technical and managerial roles in Research, in Technical Services & Development and in Process Engineering Departments.
- Expert in both organofluorine processing and in specialty silicon intermediate processing, including ultra pure silicon tetrachloride (SiCl4) for optical applications.
- Career activities used academic and practical chemistry training to successfully bridge technical problem solving across industrial product and process R&D.
- Work primarily directed at existing and new chemical intermediates (building blocks) and the methods for their safe, efficient production.
- Last 20 years service in Process Engineering Research focused on silicon intermediates processing.
- R&D projects led to successful multi-million dollar plant construction projects, including a foreign assignment in Japan.
Honors & Publications
- 1987, EP 0219949, (co-inventor), Organo-silicon Ketene Acetal Compounds
- 1989, US 4,798,818, (co-inventor), Catalyst Composition and Process for Its Preparation
- 1991, EP 0453891, Isomer Specific Preparation of 3,3,3-Trifluoropropene from Difluorocarbene Precursor and Vinyl Monomer
- 1992, EP 0319153, Preparation of 3,3,3-Trifluoropropene
- 1967, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 32, 603-607, (co-authored), The Preparation and Coupling of Some Alpha-Haloperfluorocarbon-s-triazines
- 1970, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 35, 270-271, (co-authored), 1,3 Rearrangements of the Dichloromethyl Group
- 1971, Polymer Preprints American Chemical Society, Div. Polymer Chemistry, 12(1), 482-488, (co-authored), New Hybrid Fluorosilicones, I. Monomers
- 1971, Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, 1(2), 203-218, (co-authored), Synthesis of Alpha, Omega-bis-(Silyl)Polyfluoroalkane Derivatives
Books and Book Chapters
- Kirk Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, (1994), 11, 467-482, (co-authored), Fluorine Compounds, Organic - Introduction
- Kirk Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, (1994), 11, 722-729, (co-authored), Poly(fluorosilicones)
- Kirk Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, 5th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, (2004 in press), on-line version available as of July, 2004, Fluorine Compounds, Organic Introduction.
- Fluorine Chemistry: A Comprehensive Treatment, M. Howe-Grant, ed., John Wiley, New York, 1995, (co-authored) one chapter on Fluorine Compounds and (co-authored) one chapter on Fluorosilicones.
- B.S. Chemistry, Case Institute of Technology
- M.S. Organic Chemistry, The Ohio State University
- PhD Organofluorine Chemistry, The Ohio State University