- Photopolymer consultant for for optical communications and digital printing and imaging.
- Acquisition strategy and indepth due diligence experience for acquisition of optical materials and optical device new businesses and technology.
- Consultant for flexographic printing, printing plates, photo resists and overall imaging technology.
- Expert witness on technology issues related to optoelectronics, photopolymers, lasers and related business arrangements.
2003 - Present Independent Consultant
- Technical consultant for photopolymers and resists used in optoelectronic and imaging.
- Provides technical expertise and optoelectronic consultation for evaluation of investment opportunities.
- New business development consultant for optical and imagine businesses.
1973 - 2003 DuPont Electronics Technologies and DuPont Ventures
New Business Development Consultant
- Developed strategy for DuPont entrance into polymer-based optical components for next-generation optical communication equipment.
- Led technical due diligence resulting in acquisition of a new business venture in optical components for DuPont, and participated in transition team for integration into DuPont business environment.
- Worked to promote optical communication technology and wider consumer access to high bandwidth through leadership activities in the Optoelectronic Industry Development Association (OIDA).
- Identified and evaluated investment opportunities in new technically-based new business start-ups.
- Led the R&D unit of a DuPont business in the manufacture and sale of flexographic printing plates to the packaging graphics market.
- Directed programs in three laboratories in the US and Germany and coordinated joint programs in Japan, China and south America.
- Led acquisition and introduction of a significant new technology (Cyrel FAST) that improved customer work-flow and lowered environmental impact of the plate making process.
- Led development and first industry introduction of digital flexographic technology (Digital Cyrel) enabling laser-based electronic imaging in this market.
- Served on industry panels and commissions to promote flexographic printing through several officer positions in the Flexographic Technical Association.
Manager, Corporate Growth Initiatives
- Concurrent with R&D management responsibilities, developed strategic approaches to reinvigorating R&D efforts in new areas that would lead to significant revenue growth for DuPont.
Central Research and Development, Research Manager, Corporate Center for Imaging Applications
- Led R&D program of 35 PhD's investigating basic science and applications of nonlinear optics in both organic and inorganic materials.
- Coordinated all photopolymer fundamental science in service of DuPont's imaging businesses.
- Supported joint ventures in optical materials (Phillips DuPont Optical, PDO; and British Telecom DuPont, BT&D) in optical disk technology and optical communications.
Research Supervisor, Group Leader, Photochemistry
- Assembled a team of first-rate scientists to create cohesive group directed to photochemical science and its application development.
- Authored or co-authored 76 scientific papers in refereed journals and was awarded 11 US patents.
- Joined DuPont and initiated R&D program in visible light initiated photo polymerization based on dye sensitized electron transfer chemistry.
- Developed technology for low-silver x-ray films for medical diagnostics.
Honors & Publications
- Fellow, Society of Imaging Science and Technology.
- Tilmans-Skolnik Award, American Chemical Society.
- 76 Professional Publications.
- 11 US patents granted.
- Member of many industry, academic, government and association advisory, editorial or directorial boards.
- Invited speaker at national and international conferences.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, California Institute of Technology, 1972
- A.B. Chemistry, Wesleyan University, 1968