Paint and Coating Consultant Specializing Corrosion Coatings
Technical Consultant #1107
- New coating product development and commercialization with over 18 U.S. Patents granted.
- Coating for inhibiting metal corrosion.
- Corrosion inhibitor materials technology.
- Corrosion inhibiting conversion coatings for metal, automobiles and aircraft.
- Environmentally friendly polymeric coating systems.
- Development of polymeric chrome free coating treatments.
- Organic polymeric coatings and unique polymer synthesis capability.
- Coating for plastic substrates, including surface modification to promote adhesion.
- Surfactant technology for metal cleaning and for lubricant applications.
- Unique oil well extraction technology and the use of modified natural and renewable polymers for coating applications.
- Polymer synthesis for paints and coatings, specializing in conversion coatings.
- Skilled with the use of modified natural and renewable polymers for coating applications.
- Access to complete paint formation and testing laboratory.
Independent Consultant 2003 - Present
- Paint and coating formulations and testing.
Undisclosed Firm, Vice President of Technology 2001 - 2003
- Responsible for new product development, procurement of R&D contracts, pilot plant manufacture, and interfacing with suppliers and customers for new product introductions.
Henkel Surface Technologies, Madison Heights, Michigan 1978 - 2001
Technical Director - Fundamental & Exploratory Group.
- Responsibilities include the development of new generation products for both the core metal conversion coating business, new ventures and technology transfer and management of assigned business units.
- Developed and commercialized a new repair treatment for commercial and military aircraft. Product now employed by major airlines and military.
- Invented break-through technology for oil well recovery improvement, resulting in a U.S. patent.
- Invented and coordinated commercialization of Automotive After-market metal corrosion inhibiting treatment.
- Managed the reformulation of 35 products to meet Environmental Regulations in record time.
- Coordinated technology transfer of unique metal coating treatment.
- Supervised the development of environmentally acceptable corrosion inhibitor used in power plant, pulp and paper manufacturing and sugar refining operations.
- Coordinated the development of polymeric systems for metal treatment as well as chrome free treatments and post-treatment.
Directed the manufacturing and commercialization of products based on developments from the F&E Group.
- Development of polymeric chrome free post-treatments in various business areas including Coil Coating, General Industries, Automotive, Light Metal Industries.
- Designed equipment and supervised the manufacture of all polymeric systems either at toll manufacturing sites or in-house.
- Established the first synthesis and polymer laboratory as well as a pilot plant for the development and commercialization of polymer treatment systems.
- Invented the first known commercial polymeric treatment and hydrophilic agent for plastic surfaces. Product in in use at GM, plastic fabricators and otherse.
- Invented two synthetic methods for production of stable water based epoxy resins.
- Commercialized a water based epoxy system for metal fasteners.
- Invented a new synthetic method for synthesis and manufacture of zero VOC polymeric systems. Product based on this technology is commercial at GM, Ford, and Daimler Chrysler as well as hundreds of general industries' customers.
- New polymeric materials for corrosion inhibition invented which are specific for aluminum.
- Invented a new unique surfactant technology useful for metal cleansing and for lubricant application.
M&T Chemicals, Inc. (Now BASF), Southfield, Michigan, Senior Research Chemist 1973-1978
- Conducted research in the development of polymeric coatings for can coating applications.
- Established a synthesis program for the development of water based coatings for can applications.
- Invented a highly stable (over 10 years) and low surfactant latex coating (0.1%) for interior lacquers.
- Worked with toll converters for the synthesis of in-house developed polymeric coatings.
Honors & Publications
- The Governor's Award (Michigan) for New Product Development
- The President's Award at Henkel Surface Technologies for outstanding product development.
- American Chemical Society Aware while student at Wayne State University
- The Engineering Society of Detroit Award
- Nine publications to date; list furbished upon request.
Over 18 U.S. Patents in the areas of:
- Polymer Synthesis
- Water Soluble Epoxy Resins
- Graft modification of polymers for water solubility
- Chrome Free Conversion Coatings
- Chrome Free Post-Treatments
- Oil Well Systems for Improved Recovery
- Corrosion Inhibitors
- Polymeric Crosslinking Agents
- Plastic Treatments (First polymeric treatment for plastics developed, patented and commercial.)
- Natural product (Tannin) modification and use for novel conversion coatings.
- First commercial development of water soluble polymeric system based on the use of sugar derivatives.
- Repair Coating for Mil Spec Application. In use at Boeing, Northwest, Navy etc. for on ship repair.
- Automotive After-Market metal treatment commercialized in joint venture with World's largest paint company.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing Michigan
- B.S. Chemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan