- Plastics manufacturing; plastic processing and business.
- Plastics processing machinery.
- Polymer materials development and polymer compounding.
- Thermoplastic elastomer processing and elastomer product development.
- Problem solving related to plastic processing and machinery.
- Extrusion and forming of plastic materials: Injection molding, blow molding, compression molding and rotational molding.
- Plastic materials testing and analysis.
- Plastic and polymer research and development management.
- Business development, product development and business commercialization.
- Project management.
- Organizational development and training.
Independent Consultant, Present
Undisclosed College, 1997 - Present
- Director, Plastics Manufacturing Center
Undisclosed Company, 1995 - Present
- Plastics Engineering Consultant
Kerr Group, Lancaster, PA, 1993 - 1995
- Director of Product and Materials Development
The West Company, Phoenixville, PA, 1971 - 1993
- Business Development Manager, Health Care Marketing Group, 1990 - 1993
- Director of Research and Development, Thermoplastics Group, 1986 - 1990
- Division Director, Research, Development and Testing, 1984 - 1986
- Manager of Plastics Technology, 1978 - 1981
- Supervising Chemist, Analytical and Physical Testing, 1971 -1978
Borg Warner Corporation, Washington WV, 1967 - 1971
- Chemist/Laboratory Supervisor, Plastics Research and Development
Research and Development
- Provided competitive advantage of a rubber products company, established corporate task force to determine strategic direction and planned, equipped, and staffed completely new research and development unit.
- Effort resulted in the development of five new thermoplastic products, enabled company to realize a saving of a $6 million product line from erosion to competition, and was promoted to Division Director.
Product Development and Commercialization
- Developed revolutionary new material for producing infant feeding nipples from proprietary materials.
- Replaced non-profitable and antiquated rubber nipple product line.
- Enabled the manufacture of the product in a more precise and efficient plastics molding process.
- Commercialized this new material and process, brought about an annual shared-savings of $1l8 million to company and a higher quality product to consumer.
- Received national award for this design innovation.
- For a highly automated mail order pharmaceutical company, developed a clear plastic container from nucleated polypropylene random copolymers utilizing biaxially oriented stretch blow molding processes.
- With this clear container, enabled inspection without opening and significantly reduced cost and efficiency.
- Conceived and implemented a five-year plan for building and staffing a research and development facility, developing new technology materials and constructing a pilot production plant.
- Produced, through this research and development program, five patented thermoplastic elastomer materials.
- Planned, budgeted, constructed, and operated a continuous production line, with a capacity of one million pounds per year, for compounding plastics and elastomers.
- Conducted market research and identified medical tubing products made from high performance thermoplastics that could be successfully marketed against high-priced silicone tubing.
- Developed three product lines for market segment launch.
- Outsourced production to a manufacturing site with sufficient capacity to produce projected product volume.
- Commercialized and coordinated market introduction of medical tubing line with sales potential for $5-10 million.
- For highly competitive non-carbonated beverage market requires low-cost closures, identified and selected European companies to develop and test new high performance materials for newly patented high-speed compression molding processes with output rates of 400-600 per minute.
- Enabled projected sales for company of these low cost closures of $5 million per year.
Honors & Publications
- Instructor: Dale Carnegie Leadership Institute
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Modern Plastics Management Advisory Panel
- Society of Plastics Engineers
- Parental Drug Association
- American Marketing Association
- Design Innovation: National Award
- Various publications:
- Parental Packaging
- Properties of ABS Materials
- MBA University of Southern California, CA
- B.S. Chemistry, Fairmount State College