- Conducted thousands of fire investigations as a private fire cause and origin investigator working in the Legal, Insurance, and Safety industries.
- Providing loss reviews, fire investigations, technical expertise, and litigation support for numerous major insurance carriers and attorneys through the Midwest.
- Report writing, evidence collection, still and video photography, interviewing of witnesses, and deposition and expert witness appearances. Testified in both state and federal court.
Fire and Explosion Origin and Cause
- Single family homes to complex commercial structures.
- Vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Manufacturing plants and equipment.
- Hazardous sites - Asbestos and hazardous material incidents.
Expert Witness Experience
Fire and Explosions Litigation
- Arson defense and prosecution; gas explosions; vehicular fires/ structure fires, fire deaths and injuries.
- Analysis and evaluation, consultation, expert testimony and strategy for pending litigation.
- Civil arson defense.
- Civil claim denial.
- Criminal arson defense.
- Criminal aggravated arson defense.
Building and Fire Codes
- Fire and building code violations; Life Safety Code violations; smoke detector issues; fire prevention analysis.
- Analysis and evaluation, consultation, Expert Testimony and strategy for pending litigation.
- Inspections, code compliance, egress, fire alarm systems, sprinklers, hazardous material storage and code compliance.
- Life Safety Code Analysis.
- Exits, sprinkler systems, extinguishing systems, egress, code compliance and inspections.
- Locations, operations, code compliance, testing.
Fire Department Practices
- Fire department operations, practices and management; firefighter deaths, injuries and safety.
- Strategy and Tactics used in fire operations.
- Communications and response.
- Incident Command operations.
- Safety Operations.
- RIT Team operations, communications.
Undisclosed Company Fire Department, Chief - Member
- Progressed from a Firefighter and Paramedic to the position of Deputy Fire Chief.
- Responded to hundreds of major fire and crime scenes and has testified in court on the conclusions of these investigations.
- These investigations have led to successful criminal indictments and convictions.
- Fire department responsibilities included the review of all construction plans for compliance to fire and building codes.
- This expertise in building construction and fire code compliance, coupled with the knowledge of firefighting techniques and fire spread, lends a unique blend to fire investigation capabilities.
- Fire and building code analysis.
- Automobile accident reconstruction.
- Gas Leak Surveys.
- Distribution gas pipe ruptures and leaks.
- Investigation of fire fatalities and electrocutions.
- Investigation of bombings.
- Investigation for cause and origin of fires and explosions:
- Incendiary Fires.
- Boiler and furnace fires and explosions.
- LP and Natural gas fires and explosions.
- Kitchen range fires.
- Spontaneous combustion.
- Automobile, truck, boats, and heavy equipment fires.
- Electrical fires.
- Home appliance fires.
- Fireplace, flue and chimney related fires.
- Industrial fires and explosions.
Independent Fire and Explosion Expert, 2001 - Present
- Fire Analyst
PROBE Inc., Skokie, IL, 1990 - 2001
- Consultant and Fire Analyst
Skokie Fire Department, Skokie, IL, Deputy Fire Chief, Division of Fire Prevention, 1991 - 1997
- Acting Fire Chief, 1990 - 1991
- Deputy Fire Chief, 1987 - 1990
- Fire Captain and Shift Commander 1, 1986 - 1987
- Captain Division of Fire Prevention, 1963 - 1996
- Fire Lieutenant and Paramedic Coordinator, 1981 - 1983
- Fire Fighter and Paramedic, 1969 - 1979
Dole Valve Company, Morton Grove, IL, 1968 - 1969
- Lab Technician
United States Army, 1965 - 1968
Honors & Publications
- IAAI Certified Fire Investigator IAAI-CFI
- NAFI Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator NAFI -CFEI
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- National Fire Protection Association
- Fire Marshals Association of North America
- International Association of Fire Chiefs
- Building Officials/Code Administrators International
- Fire Investigators Strike Force
- Illinois Fire Inspectors Association
- International Association of Fire Investigators
- A.A. Fire Science and Technology, Oakton College, Des Plaines, IL
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator