Chemical Consultant: Surface Chemistry, Catalysis, Surface Area Modification and Analytical Methods
Technical Consultant #1015
Over seventeen years of professional research and development experience in surface chemistry and nanotechnology, including surface characterization and modification. Wide technology expertise including: materials for the electronics industry, environmental catalysis, zeolite chemistry, surface chemistry, ion-exchange, inorganic synthesis, product scale-up and manufacturing.
Significant experience in:
- Surface science
- Laboratory Instrumentation Specification
- Analytical Method Development
- New Technology Advancement
2002 - Present Consultant
1998 - 2001 Cabot Corporation, Boyertown, PA, Senior Research Associate, Analytical and Process Chemistry
1996 - 1998 The PQ Corporation, Conshohocken, PA, Principal Chemist
1996 - 1987 Engelhard Corporation, Iselin, NJ, Senior Chemist
1984 - 1987 Exxon Chemical Company, Baytown Division, TX, Basic Chemicals Technology
Significant Professional Projects
- Expert in analytical methods including: BET surface area, x-ray fluorescence (XRF), inductively coupled plasma spectroscopy (ICP), rheology, LECO carbon analysis, density, laser light scattering particle size measurements, titration, refraction index, density, moisture analysis, sample riffling and microwave digestion and fusion sample preparation.
- Designed and installed equipment for adsorptive testing of zeolitic products and developed testing protocol for R&D and plant lab product quality testing.
- Characterized novel molecular sieves, proving incorporation of elements into crystal structure.
- Fine particle coatings, including formulated coatings utilizing organic inorganic and binders to adhere absorbents to a wide variety of substrates.
- Isomorphic substitution into crystal structures.
- Developed new specialty zeolitic absorbents as part of expanded company product line.
- Developed catalyst for catalytic filtration for emissions control devices.
- Patented ion-exchange material for heavy metal removal from aqueous streams and novel desiccant air conditioning absorbent, instrumental in initiating a new product lines.
- Invented novel molecular sieves and refined synthesis of other microporous silicates.
- Developed improved low cost zeolitic absorbent selective for ethyl benzene from mixed A8 aromatic stream.
Honors & Publications
- Dupont Fellowship (1980-1981)
- GPOP Fellowship (1978-1979)
- Shell Fellowship (1978-1979)
- Department Honors Chemistry (1978)
- Department Honors Mathematics (1978)
- American Chemical Society Division of Analytical Chemistry Student Award (1978)
- ANACHEM Award at1977 FACSS National Meeting
- Upperclassman Achievement Scholarship (1975-1976)
- 4 Patents
- 8 Publications
- Many invited lectures
- Ph.D., Chemical Physics, Texas at Austin
- B.S., Chemistry, Oakland University, Rochester, MI
- B.A., Mathematics, Oakland University