- Low-NOx burner retrofits, heater rebuild and revamp projects, heater control, safeguarding and flare replacements.
- Repair and revamp of thermal reactors and incinerators in sulfur recovery (SRU) units, energy efficiency improvement, liquefied natural gas (LNG), and on shore gas projects.
- Design and trouble-shooting of fired and unfired heat transfer equipment.
- Research and development, on oxy-firing in process heaters and boilers for CO2 control and sequestration.
- Fuel-flexible burner system (patent pending); anti-coking tube coating for heaters in coking service.
- Lead in the development of Shell internal and industry standards and best practices.
- Training programs on combustion and heat transfer equipment.
- Fired Process Heater course.
- Fired Process Heater Troubleshooting.
- Perform heater simulations for a mid-western USA refinery to help evaluate revamp options.
- Waste heat boiler for IRPC.
- Application of advanced thermal imaging techniques for trouble-shooting of heat transfer equipment.
Undisclosed Company, Principal Technical Consultant, Present
- Supply comprehensive heater support.
- Delivering fired equipment technical support for combustion and heat transfer training courses for clients.
American Flame Research, Present
- Serving as General Chairman of (AFRC) managing AFRC's Industrial Combustion Symposia.
Shell Global Solutions, (U.S.), 2014
- Advisor to the Combustion and Heat Transfer Engineering Department.
Shell Technology Center (STCH), Houston, TX, 2009 - 2013
- Led the heat transfer team and provided comprehensive heater support.
Shell Americas, 1993 - 2008
- Led the Heat Transfer Technical Discipline Network (HT-TDN).
- Oversaw the Shell Thermography Team.
- Lead investigator in several Shell-funded research and development projects with high benefit potential for the Company.
- Comprehensive heater review for Petrotrin (the Petroleum Company of Trinidad and Tobago).
- Received twelve special recognition during 25 years at Shell.
- Acknowledgment for research and development work (oxy-fired process heaters anti-coking coating for heaters in coking), resulting in patents.
- Introduced new technology for application within Shell (two of these were related to heat exchangers - anti-fouling coating for water-cooled HEX and Cal Gavin inserts for an air-cooler at Deer Park Refinery). Establishing pigging as superior to shot-blasting for the decoking of hydrocracker heaters.
- Technical support to sulfur recovery units (leading the solution development following a fire in SR-3 Claus Reaction Furnace, and for SR-5 burner trouble-shooting.
- Flare support (DP Coker flare.
- Fired heater technical support (CO heater support at DP in 1997, GOHT heater throughput improvement at Deer Park Refinery.
- Heat exchanger support (Process Gas Cooler redesign for the hydrogen plant at Deer Park refinery and an overhead condenser redesign for Puget Sound Refinery).
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- General Chairman of American Flame Research Committee (AFRC), coordinating and managing AFRC's Industrial Combustion Symposia.
- American Petroleum Institute (API) Sub-Committee on Heat Transfer Equipment.
- Heat Transfer Technical Discipline Network (HT-TDN) for Shell in the Americas.
- Received Presidential Award of Excellence at Shell twice: once on behalf of Shell
Thermography Team during a three year period performing comprehensive heater review.
- More than 50 publications in peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
- Over 100 Shell internal reports, internal standards, and best practices.
Reviewer of Publications
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Heat Transfer, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Thermo-physics & Heat Transfer and Industrial Combustion
- Journal of the international Flame Research Foundation, on line (IFRF).
- Inventor of numerous patents.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia