- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology drug discovery, diagnostic research and development, business development.
- Identify and implement technologies in strategically relevant areas to maximize value; translate completed research and development into company growth.
- Small molecule and antibody drug discovery and development.
- Diagnostic development: solution-based; lateral flow assay development, optimization, and construction; high-throughput screening platforms; assay automation (fluorescence/absorbance, liquid handling robotics).
- Aptamer selection and characterization.
- CRISPR/Cas9: Gene editing in therapeutic cell lines. Gene repair/correction of endogenous protein production.
- Antibody screening and production for human and livestock diagnostic assay development; nucleic acid isothermal amplification method optimization.
- Nucleic acid methodologies: RNA/DNA isolation and purification, real-time PCR, cloning and mutagenesis, in vitro transcription (IVT), isothermal nucleic acid amplification, RNAi knockdown; CRISPR/Cas9 gene-editing methodologies; nucleofection.
- Protein purification (IMAC) and expression, gel electrophoresis, in vitro (directed) evolution, protein kinase assays; Antibody-based technologies: western blotting, ELISA, immunoprecipitation; gel shift assay (+/-radioisotopes), S-35 metabolic labeling, fluorescence microscopy.
Cell Culture, Model Organism Handling
- S2 Drosophila embryonic cell culture, E. coli cell culture for recombinant protein. production.
- C. elegans, S. cerevisiae, D. melanogaster, human primary cells and cancer cell lines.
Undisclosed Company, Owner, 2015 - Present
- Provide expert consultation on strategic planning and implementation of scientific methods to maximize resources and deliver results.
- Gene editing: CRISPR/Cas9-facilitated gene editing of heamophilia genes in therapeutic cell lines.
- Successfully demonstrated gene repair that resulted in corrected endogenous protein production; Coordinated on-site and remote training of research staff in wet lab techniques.
- Resolved technical issues; Conserved financial expenditures (saved nearly $100K) by devising economical methodology and refocusing research efforts towards milestones that translated more readily into value for investors.
- Antibody production and screening for human and livestock diagnostic assay development, and nucleic acid isothermal amplification method optimization.
Undisclosed Company, Owner Founder and Scientific Director, 2014 - Present
- Founder of a drug discovery and development company to capitalize on fast-moving niche market for therapeutic indications in oncology.
- Engineering first-in-class nucleic acid aptamers for the treatment of lung and breast carcinomas.
- Chemotherapeutic regimens; addressing sensitivity and specificity over current and less-specific.
- Creating novel research technologies in support of drug discovery activities, including identifying platform technology, negotiating scientific out-licensing and collaboration agreements, and %u2022 orchestrating strategic partnering.
AB, LLC, Co-founder and Scientific Director, 2008 - 2014
- Founded in vitro diagnostic company to utilize nucleic acid aptamers for detection of protein analytes.
- Characterized and optimized a combined aptamer-as-detection-molecule and signal readout system to detect target protein and relay the results to the end-user.
- Provided leadership for USPTO patent development (granted International patent pending).
- Designed protocols in-house; managed projects with CMOs and CROs.
- Oversaw all administrative and technical aspects of company, including facility construction, management, and personnel supervision.
Caltech, Biochemistry. Pasadena, CA, 2001 - 2008
Graduate Student Researcher, 2002 - 2008
- Characterized regulatory motifs in chaperones during early cell development.
- Elucidated direct protein-protein interaction between cancer/aging and chaperone-associated pathways.
Research Assistant, Computer Science, 2001 - 2002
- Designed and tested DNA-based transcriptional switches for in vitro computation.
- Trained Caltech students in molecular biology and nucleic acid wet lab methods.
- Re-designed laboratory space for new faculty.
University of Virginia, Biology, Research Assistant, 2001
- Identified primary crystal component in Paramecium tetraurelia.
NASA Jet Propulsion Lab., Pasadena, CA, Internship, 1999 - 2000
Planetary Protection Division
- Developed spacecraft sterilization techniques for Martian rovers with team of chemists and microbiologists.
Jet Propulsion Lab, Astrobiology Division
- Characterized chemotaxis (nutrient-sensing) mechanism of prokaryote Shewanella putrefaciens MR-1.
Georgetown University Medical School, Washington, D.C., 1998 - 1999
Research Assistant - Pharmacology
- Conducted primary statistical analysis of pharmacokinetics/dynamics of malaria drug Halofantrine hydrochloride in direct collaboration with division director; extensive use of Excel for compiling and charting data from patient samples.
National Zoological Park, Genetics Division. Washington, D.C., Internship, 1997
- Examined mosquito inter-breeding in genus Culex using molecular biology (PCR, cloning) methods at zoo-based lab facility.
Caltech, Biochemistry. Pasadena, CA, 2002 -2006
- Instructor: Lecture and Seminar courses - Biology and Chemistry
Honors & Publications
- Current knowledge of intellectual property and patent drafting guidelines.
- Software: Mfold/NUPACK nucleic acid modeling programs.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Intel International Science and Engineering Fair - Judge and Co-Chair
- California State Science Fair - Biochemistry - Judges Advisory Committee
Publications and Patents
- Co-Author of abstracts and peer reviewed publications
- U.S. and International Patent
- Ph.D. Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
- M.S. Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
- B.A. Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA