- Electrical fire investigations serving the insurance, legal, and real-estate industries.
- Electrocution, shock and origin of electrical fires, analysis and reporting.
- Lighting damage.
- Equipment damage review and analysis.
- Power quality review: Brownouts, peak demand times, voltage sags, voltage variations, interruptions, and swells.
- Circuit integration and testing.
- Transformers and generators performance and damage.
- Design the installation of power distribution systems (UPS and generators).
- Electrical design for deep space crafts.
- Deliver turnkey power solutions.
Expert Witness Experience
- Residential fire involving a generator.
- Apartment complex fire wiring examination.
- Electric heater failure litigation.
- HVAC air cleaner litigation
- Sports bar fire investigation.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Electrical Expert Engineer, 2011 - Present
- Private electrical and fire investigator with a focus on electrocutions, electrical shock, electrical cause and origin of apartment fires, power equipment failures, HVAC failures, lightning-induced failures.
- Assess NEC code violations.
Duke Energy, Shearon Harris Nuclear Plant, New Hill, NC, System Engineer, 2011 - Present
- Medium Voltage and Batteries: Responsible for 6.9kV distribution and DC distribution, including 125V and 250V batteries.
- Maintain systems and troubleshoot problems that occur during normal and emergency operations.
Forensic Engineering, Inc., Raleigh, NC, Electrical and Fire Investigator, 2002 - 2011
- Investigations: Electrical cause and origin requests, involving: vehicle fires, apartment fires, equipment failures, HVAC failures, lightning-induced failures, electrocutions and electrical shock.
Eaton Corporation, Raleigh, NC, Contractor, 2003 - 2009
- As a Power Quality Engineer and Project Integration Manager: Executed power quality investigations of data centers and power distribution facilities.
- Designed and managed the installation of power distribution systems (UPS and generators) in Military and FAA locations throughout the world, conducted short circuit analysis studies and circuit breaker coordination assessments for worldwide locations.
Astec Advanced Power Systems, Morrisville, NC, Senior Applications Engineer, 2000 - 2001
- Responsible for telecom and cellular DC power system designs up to 10,000 amps.
- Developed new processes for increasing efficiency and accuracy in quotes-to-order.
PWI-Efland Engineering Consultants, Senior Electrical Engineer, 2000
- Provided engineering design of renovations and new build to school, pharmaceutical and hospital facilities.
- Supervised electrical CAD designers.
- UNC Chapel Hill, NC - dental school renovation.
- McLeod Regional Medical, Florence, SC - chiller and 4160V electrical renovation.
- SELF Memorial Hospital, Greenwood, SC - master plan review and recommendations.
Carolina Power and Light, Raleigh, NC, Power Electrical Engineer, 1998 - 2000
- Delivered investigative services and turnkey power solutions. This included defining project requirements, tech specification and drawings (AutoCAD) development, and integration of major system components (generator, UPS, TCSS).
- Total project delivery of 3 generator systems (400 kW, 900 kW, 2000 kW) from technical sales assistance through complete project management.
- Power quality investigation with conclusive solutions for many industrial customers.
Exide Electronics, Raleigh, NC, Power Quality Engineer, 1994 -1998
- Conducted over 200 power quality investigations for firms such as BCBS, United States Olympic Training facility. Single point-of-contact for power consulting needs.
IBM Corporation, Poughkeepsie, NY, Electrical Applications and Power Engineer, 1977 - 1993
- Integrated circuits tester development, application software development, power engineering.
Avionics, Singer Corporation, Little Falls, NJ, 1977
- Test Engineer
Rockwell International Corporation, Downey, CA, 1975 - 1977
- Aerospace Engineer - Space Shuttle Program
Honors & Publications
- Licensed Professional Engineer-P.E. North Carolina
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (C.F.E.I.)
- Additional Course Work: Biology, Chemistry, Oceanography, Meteorology, and Anthropology.
- Author of numerous publications in Magazines, educational text, and peer reviewed journals.
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
- B.S. Physics, Queens College of the City University of New York, Flushing, NY