- Performance and reliability improvements of refinery fired heaters.
- Performance and reliability improvements of industrial water tube boilers.
- Performance evaluations and troubleshooting of fired heaters and boilers.
- Assessment of firing equipment capacity limitations.
- Development of performance follow-up programs and procedures for firing equipment.
- Burner test witness and burner retrofitting and selection.
- Management of downstream combustion and energy efficiency projects.
- Assistance to company management in combustion engineering services team building.
- Combustion classroom and on-site training for engineers and plant operators.
Undisclosed Company, Specialist, Operational Combustion Consultancy, 1994 - Present
- Company currently established as a well-respected reference within the local oil and gas downstream community in the provision of operational consultancy combustion services.
- Lead combustion consulting activities since company foundation. Participated in fired heater and boiler operational assessments and performance improvement activities in most local crude oil refineries and upgraders.
- Assessments of crude and vacuum distillation units, delayed coking units, hydro processing fired heaters, methane steam reformers, sulfur recovery furnace-reactors and refinery steam boilers.
- Unit thermal evaluations; mass and energy balances; steam boiler combustion tune-up; plant shutdown planning; periodical report writing and overall technical support.
- Unit performance follow up, operational diagnosis and troubleshooting, examination of heater tube thermal infrared analyses (TIR) and technical expert support during on line spalling and turnarounds.
GSE Systems, Sykesville, MD, USA, Training Advisor for Latin America, 2011 - 2015
- As independent consultant provided sales and technical support to EnVision e-learning solutions, coordinated contacts and conducted sales meetings with potential clients in Colombia, Mexico and Brazil.
Zilkha Biomass Energy, Houston, TX, USA, Latin American Consultant, 2012 - 2015
- Provided sales and technical support to the Business Development unit, coordinated contacts and conducted sales meetings with potential clients in Peru, Chile and Argentina.
Undisclosed Company, Caracas, Venezuela, Combustion Specialist, 1982 - 1994
- Worked in Research and Development, and operational consultancy activities for a major oil and gas company, managed the Combustion Section and was responsible for providing technical assistance to operating affiliates.
- Conducting combustion research activities, including participation in the development of Orimulsion®, a heavy oil-in-water emulsion, introduced and successfully commercialized as a new boiler fuel in the late 80s.
Universidad Simon Bolivar, Caracas, Venezuela, Assistant Lecturer, 1977 - 1982
- Worked as Assistant Lecturer at Process and Systems Department
- Course Lectures on Chemical Reactors; Chemical Reactors Lab; Mass Transfer; and Coal Technology.
Honors & Publications
Certifications and Technical Courses
- Homogeneous Catalysis, Principles and Applications
- Coal Preparation, College for Mineral Resources, West Virginia University
- Applied Combustion Technology, Center for Professional Advancement
- Industrial Safety, Intevep, Los Teques
- Managerial Grid, Essain, Caraballeda
- Project Management, Harold Kerzner, Caracas
- Combustion of Solid Fuels, International Flame Research Foundation, Netherlands
- Project Planning and Execution I, Stanford Research Institute - Intevep, Caraballeda
- The Future for Coal in Power Generation, College for Petroleum and Energy Studies, Oxford
- Development of Supervising Skills, Intevep, Caracas
- Effective Work Delegation, Forja, Los Teques
- Project Planning and Execution II, Intevep, Sartenejas
- Flare Technology Course, NAO, Inc. (Philadelphia, U,S, and Caracas
- Spanish (native)
- English (fluent)
Publications and Patents
- Author-Co Author of over two dozen publications in peer reviewed journals, articles, domestic and international conference resources
- Holding 7 U.S. patents.
- M.Sc. Advanced Chemical Engineering, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), Manchester, U.K.
- B. S. Chemistry (Technology), Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela