- Analysis of drugs, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics.
- Advanced Instrumental Analysis (LCMS,MS/MS,GCMS,ICPMS).
- Modern sample preparation techniques (SPE,QUECHERS).
- Laboratory quality management.
- Project management.
- Streamlining laboratory operations.
- Gas chromatograph, (ECD/FID/FPD, GC and Mass spectrometry), head space sampler; High Performance Liquid Chromatograph ( PDA/UV/FLD/ELSD/RI); U(H)PLC; LC-MS(ESI,APCI);Ion chromatograph; on-line sample cleanup and enrichments for: LC;HPTLC, and Capillary Electrophoresis - PDA/UV.
- UV-VIS (transmission and reflectance), FT-IR (transmission, reflectance, Microscope etc.), Fluorescence, Particle-size Measurement (centrifugal photo sedimentation and also, Laser Light-scattering), AAS, ICP-OES (including hydride generation), Polarimetry.
- Ion chromatography with (conductivity, electrochemical detectors); potentiometric titrations including non-aqueous techniques; KF titrations, and conductometry.
- Microwave solvent extractions, MW digestion, and solid-phase extractions (matrix cleanup and trace enrichment techniques).
- Automated solvent extractions, on-line membrane based sample cleanup, recovery and enrichments; ultrasonic extractions, centrifugal extractions, pressurized solvent extractions etc.
- Green analytical techniques-solvent minimized/solvent-free approaches.
- Analysis of drugs and pharmaceuticals, cosmetics: raw materials, API, formulated products-liquid orals, tablets, capsules, injections, ointments, and cosmetics.
- Analysis of food: oils and fats, rancidity, essential oils, confectioneries, nutrient minerals, dairy products, toxic materials-toxins (Aflatoxin), organic residues, pesticides, fungicides, heavy metals, multivitamin analysis-water soluble and fat soluble ones; food colours and banned dyes; phyto resins(oleo resin, colophony etc.); analysis of protein, amino acids by HPLC, crude fibres and adulterants; sensory analysis.
- Analysis of consumer goods: for all hazardous, carcinogenic and banned chemicals as per RSL, RoHS, EN-71(toys), REACH, CPSC, EPA; migration tests; odour analysis-identifying compounds causing pungent, foul odour.
- Analysis of packaging materials for chemical residues, leachablity and migration tests.
- Validation of procedures; calibrating the instruments; for measurement uncertainties for methods.
- Preparing a laboratory for accreditation.
- Planning facility, specification, installations and imparting operational training; solving issues in intricate analysis and implementing laboratory safety.
Independent Consultant, Analytical Chemistry Consultant, 2015 - Present
- Developing procedures for free phenols, formaldehyde and various sulphonated aromatic congeners for Bakelite resins for a resin manufacturing company.
- Resolved problems related to estimation of Iron and copper in flouro chemicals by AAS.
- Guided in identification of impurities in organo phthalates by GC-MS.
CSIR-Central Leather Research Institute, Chennai, India, Principal Technical Office, 1988 - 2015
- As Principle Office of an Expertise Centre for Eco (chemicals) testing laboratory that played an active role in analytical method development.
- Contributed to the development of at least 50 different procedures for range of analytes from organic to inorganic.
- Resolving issues pertaining to method development and operations of instruments.
- Acting as technical resource and training of other analysts in areas of expertise.
- Interacting with customers from industries, scientists from institutions.
- Procurement of new instruments and managed in budget planning both capital and operational.
- Responsible for installations of new equipments', doing performance qualification and training analysts.
Senior Technical Officer
- Analysis of consumer goods: for all hazardous, carcinogenic and banned chemicals as per RSL, RoHS, EN-71(toys), REACH, CPSC, EPA; migration tests.
- First in the industry, established odor analysis for identifying compounds causing pungent odor and foul odor in consumer goods and solved issues for shoe and handbag manufacturers.
- Solved the dye interference in the CrVI estimation of leather leachates of ISO procedure and improved the reliability of the ISO procedure that is later incorporated into official ISO17075 -1&2.
- In a first, developed number of quick, integrated, green and efficient procedures for arylamines, formaldehyde, cholrophenols.
- In a first developed estimation of PVC in the topcoats and also, chlorides in water insoluble brake fluid.
- In a first developed an ICP-OES method with incorporation of chemical additives to enhance the response for Lead in topcoats, paints.
- Analysis of packaging materials for chemical residues, leachability tests.
- Drafting test procedures for new analytical methods.
- Review and approval of specifications, standard testing procedures, regular analytical method validation/ verification and equipment, instrument qualification. ~Ensuring technical training (SOP and on-job training) of all analysts.
- Trouble shooting in analytical instrumentation or in any part of the procedures.
- Verification of all the final results, reports and issuing reports.
- Ensuring effective safety systems implemented in the labs.
Sr.Technical AssistantTechnical Assistant
- In a first in the industry, achieved analytical methods for estimation of chlorophenols, carcinogenic aryl amines by HPLC to comply with requirements of EU market for the Indian consumer goods industries.
- Involved in the operation and maintenance of sophisticated instruments-GCMS, CE, GC, HPLC, FTIR, UV-VIS, particle-size analyzer..
- Developed a method based on FTIR -solution spectra with solvent subtraction for identifying reverse micellization of peptides.
Parry's Confectionery Ltd., Chennai, India, Quality Control Executive, 1987 - 1988
- Involved in analysis of food, oils and fats, rancidity, essential oils, confectioneries, nutrient minerals, dairy products, statistical samplings, particle-size analysis, stability studies and sensory analysis.
- Established particle-size estimation of chocolates and correlation studies for palatability.
ITALAB Analytical Laboratory, Chennai, India, Analytical Chemist, 1983 - 1987
- Involved in analysis of pharmaceutical products and cosmetics as per Pharmacopeia, BPC, NF and AOAC - raw materials, API, formulated products-liquid orals, tablets, capsules, injections, ointments, cosmetics, napkins; parentrals, topical and packing materials and stability studies; water samples, herbs etc. based on instrumental analyses, wet approaches, microbiological and enzymatic analyses. Involved in calibrations of instruments and glassware, standardization of chemicals and interacted for auditing.
- In a first in the lab, developed method for estimation of Mn (in micrograms) in Pharma capsules by UV-VIS Spectrophotometry.
- Trained number of chemists for 20 years -prepared them in wet and Instrumental analyses, on Location at Anna University, Tamil Nadu, India, (5 years).
Honors & Publications
- Eco-Friendly Sample Preparation Methods based on Focused Microwave Technique for the Analysis of Chlorinated Organics
- Institution of Chemicals, Specialization: Analysis of Drugs, Pharmaceuticals Cosmetics and Foods Analysis.
- Applied Chemistry, Specialization: Advanced Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemical Technology, Advanced Instrumental, Analyses, and Business Administration
- Qualified as NABL Lead Assessor as per ISO/IEC 17025:2005.
- Qualified for ISO17025 for LABORATORY QUALITY MANAGEMNET and INTERNAL AUDITING.
- Qualified as FSSC 22000 Lead Assessor.
- Qualified as PCQI [FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food as per USFDA [21CFR
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Associate of Institution of Chemists (India).
- Received CLE (Council of Leather Exporters) Award for the contributions to Chemical Analysis of Hazardous chemical residues in leather Consumer products.
Publications and Patents
- Author of over 25 publications with focus to Method Development in peer reviewed international journals, conferences, (Hosting locations-USA, Europe and Middle East) research papers, and posters.
- Patents, 2
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry , Anna University,Chennai,Tamilnadu, India
- MSc. Chemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamilnadu, India
- P.G. Chemistry, Associateship of Institution of Chemists,, Kolkatta, West Bengal, India
- P.G. Applied-Advanced Analytical Chemistry, Loyola College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
- BSc. Chemistry, University of Madras, Tambaram West, Chennai, India