- Refinery heat transfer equipment in fired equipment operations, plant expansions, and corporate training.
- Over thirty years of experience with Exxon Research and Engineering, involved primarily with fired heat transfer equipment.
- Plant start-up.
- Technical advisor on incinerator barge in Prince William Sound during Valdez oil spill clean-up.
- Fired equipment operations optimization and training of refinery employees.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Mechanical Advisor, Present
- Development of technology, consulting, and troubleshooting on multi-million dollar refinery heat transfer equipment, including equipment evaluation, selection and design follow up for boilers, fired heaters, incinerators, flares, and cooling towers.
- Development of leading practices for boilers and fired heaters as part of corporate energy management system.
- Responsible for engineering and purchasing practices for boilers, flares and cooling towers, as company delegate to Council of Industrial Boiler Owners and Cooling Tower Institute.
- Originated and maintained engineering standard on flares.
- Performed consulting and troubleshooting on following types of boilers: Industrial, package, stokers, fluid bed, circulating fluid bed, HRSG, once through, steam generators and flue gas coolers, fuels cover conventional- oil, gas, coal, and unconventional-CO, tires, MSW, and wood.
- Performed general equipment assessment, capacity limitations, burner performance, burner test witness, root cause failure analysis, circulation assessment, NOx issues, and bid review assistance.
- Designed and started up systems on wide variety of company and third party boilers, incinerators, and fired heaters.
- Designed or revamp/re-rated many fired heaters in variety of services.
- Lead combustion advisor for technical readiness of in-bed combustion for coking satellite converter.
- Led survey of NOx and SOx emissions from all refinery equipment for an Argentina refinery.
- Research and development of special equipment (burners) and emerging technical processes (tar sands and shale oil).
- Technical and energy planning for U.S. and overseas mega-projects.
Honors & Publications
- Received Engineering Excellence Award for west coast refinery NOx project.
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Lafayette College, Easton, PA