- Incident investigation, process safety management, risk management programs.
- Thirty-five years of experience in the petrochemical and the oil refining industry.
- Lead Investigator for the second largest U.S. petroleum refinery.
- Specializing in refinery design, management, and maintenance and process unit start-up and commissioning, development, and optimization.
- Compliance audit programs associated with mechanical integrity, process hazard analysis, compliance, and personnel compliance training.
- Technical guidance, assurance in compliance and adherence to EPA, OSHA, VPP (Star Voluntary Protection), NEP (National Emphasis) inspections, and technical support to citation negotiations and abatement plans.
Independent Consultant, Present
- Provide consulting services, related to compliance management systems, Incident Investigations, Safety, Process Safety Management (PSM), Risk Management Plan (RMP) Emergency Response - Incident Command System (ICS); assessment, auditing, training, and programs set up.
Hovensa LLC, St. Croix, USVI, 1979 - 2010
Implementation Director - Petroleum Refinery Initiative (PRI)
- Provided overall strategic leadership and technical guidance to assure compliance and adherence to internal and agency regulations.
- Integrated PRI into the cross-functional processes and departments within the refinery for proper execution, a $600 million, 10-year project.
- Coordinated OSHA National Emphasis Program (NEP) Inspections.
- Working as an advisor to senior management and liaison between the company team and OSHA compliance officers.
- Assisting with proposed citation negotiations and abatement plan following the six-month OSHA inspection.
- Directed development of OSHA Star Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) Application.
- Providing key leadership and oversight to implement the VPP process in the core functions of the organization, including management and the union.
Director of PSM, Fire, Safety and Health, RMP
- Managed 52 employees and a budget of $7 million per year.
- Integrated PSM, RMP, safety, health, and fire prevention programs into the organization.
- Chartered and sponsored programs to a culture where 1900 personnel reduced the injury recordable rate by 80% over a three year period and sustained that performance for five years.
- Implementing and maintaining refinery personnel Key Behavior Indicator (KBI) system to improve personal safety, process safety, and environmental compliance.
- Improved incident investigation capabilities and liaison with the legal department.
- Implemented a contractor audit program.
- Developed a certification program related to process equipment specifications.
Risk Management and Process Safety Manager
- Developed and implemented OSHA Process Safety Management Program (RSMP) and EPA's Risk Management Plan (RMP).
- Chaired and coordinated over 500 incident investigations ranging from recordable personnel injuries, environmental events to $64 million in losses.
- Directed activities related to Hess -HOVIC and PDVSA (Petroleos de Venezuala) joint venture.
- Developed programs to address audit and process safety programs, process and maintenance procedures (3000 ), equipment specifications, incident investigation protocols.
Sr. Project Engineering and Construction Coordinator, FCC Complex
- Supervised the activities related to a $1.1 billion grass roots construction, pre-commissioning mechanical integrity certification, and start-up project.
- Reviewed, modified, and developed project engineering standards.
- Coordinated planning and scheduling of field execution activities to integrate refinery fixed equipment new construction with existing facility infrastructure.
Technical Services Supervisor
- Managed 31 employees that provided technical and process engineering support to the entire refinery, which included crude units, vacuum units, distillate desulfurizers, amine units, sulfur plants, Beavon units, visbreakers, and platformers.
- Developed and implemented process unit troubleshooting, inspection, monitoring, and optimization programs.
- Implemented training programs to mentor process engineers and technicians.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Incident Commander - Qualified (QI) - OPA 90, Massachusetts Maritime Academy.
- Bilingual (English, Spanish)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chairperson of St. Croix USVI - LEPC
- Providing strategic leadership, direction to a committee consisting of representatives from public and private sectors
- Puerto Rico North Coast Harbor Safety and Security Committee (Chair and Member)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AICHE)
- Caribbean Regional Response Team (CRRT)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, PR