- Petroleum refining and chemicals technology with strong emphasis in technology management and strategic planning.
- Transformer oil management.
- Catalyst technology.
Undisclosed Company, Present
- Senior Consultant evaluating and coordinating biomass fuel, chemical, and renewable energy ventures.
Sunoco, Corporate Director of Technology
- Serving in various management positions of twenty-six years spanning from research and development, marketing, and business development.
Forecasting and Assessment
- Screened external technology for desulfurizing residuals for technical merit and relevance.
- Developed capital cost estimates and venture economics on
- Provided a long range forecast for propylene demand and a comprehensive plan to exploit the company's position in supplying propylene to the petrochemical industry.
- Evaluated alternative technologies for utilizing remote natural gas supplies.
Research and Strategic Planning
- Managed the catalyst research group and developed plans to link new catalyst technology to future chemical opportunities and fuels requirements.
- Developed strategic and tactical technology plans to support business goals and objectives.
- In-house entrepreneur to set up and manage new businesses based on oil reclamation, new metal working fluids technology, and computerized maintenance services.
- Established a joint venture company that became a $10 million per year business and the first to be approved nationally by the EPA to destroy PCB's in transformer oil.
- Created and managed the company's first Engineering Research Department and directed several multi-million dollar research and development projects in refinery processing, petrochemicals, specialty chemicals and polymers, including a joint program with a Japanese company
- Organized corporate-wide technology conferences and advised the CEO and COO on technology matters.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Executive Director of the Council for Chemical Research
- Providing leadership in promoting improved collaboration among industry, universities, and government laboratories in chemical technology development
- Member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Member of the Heritage Council of the Chemical Heritage Foundation
- Taught Chemical Engineering as an assistant professor at Oregon State University and University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark, DE