- All aspects of Instrumentation and Control Systems (I&CS) from design to testing and installation.
- International project and in-plant experience completing major I&CS capital projects within petroleum and petrochemical industries of forty years.
- Project engineering and project management major capital projects for petroleum and chemical plants worldwide.
- Safety instrumented systems, distributed control systems.
- In-plant troubleshooting - start-up, and process engineering.
Independent Consultant, (Contractual work), 2003 - Present
- Develop new methodologies covering direct and indirect costs for Honeywell, Triconex, Bently Nevada Control Systems.
- Update existing methodologies associated with control system field devices, wiring, buildings, and infrastructure required to produce the Total Erected Cost (TEC) Estimate.
- Participate in a risk-based reliability assessment covering existing critical control valves for PPL Corporation.
- Complete I&CS planning and design specification preparation and related FEED package review work for the FEED phases of Sriracha Refinery and Singapore PAC Refinery modification projects ($2 Billion).
- Replacement of grass roots, Scanfiner units.
- Serve as an Advisor to the ExxonMobil Global ACS/PMX Migration Project Team.
- Replace an obsolete control system with modern distributed systems.
- Conduct a detailed Safety Instrumented System review for Formosa Petrochemical.
- Provide FEED phase consulting and FEED package reviews for the Petrojam Ltd. Refinery Upgrade Project (RUP).
- Ensure successful testing and approval for shipment and delivery of the FGSs and PESDs for Ras Gas / ExxonMobil AKG-2 Project.
- Review and approve all documentation, including C&E Matrices, P&IDs, FLDs, Triconex application programs.
- Develop all testing requirements, including pass-fail criteria.
- Coordinating testing schedules and personnel.
- Observe, supervise, guide, and provide formal approval of all testing.
- Lead I&CS Engineer for Kawasaki and Wakayama plants as part of the Japan Low Sulfur Mogas Projects.
- Led the factory acceptance testing of a new Triconex-based safety instrumented system for the Erg Raffinerie Mediterranee Powerformer unit.
- Conducted a comprehensive reliability assessment for the I&CS and safety instrumented systems at the Benecia Valero (California) refinery.
- Provided frequent in-plant I&CS trouble-shooting and design guidance at the Amerada-Hess Refinery, (New Jersey).
ExxonMobile, Engineering Manager, 1977 - 2003
- Led project teams to complete detailed engineering plans, site construction, testing, and start -up of instrumentation and control systems facilities at ExxonMobil plants worldwide.
- Modernizing of control systems at the Singapore Refinery with the plant in full operation.
- Lead project engineer for the engineering and construction of instrumentation and control systems for a $400 million paraxylene project.
- Serving as lead engineer for two refinery and chemical plant projects ($500 million total) to include extensive additions and modifications to process units, control systems, and fuels blending facilities.
- Serving as engineering team lead for a group responsible for worldwide support of Exxon's instrumentation engineering and custody tansfer businesses.
- Provided project design consulting and field support to Exxon affiliates.
- Monitored vendor instrumentation and control system development.
- Led a task force to improve reliability of chronically malfunctioning instrumentation at Bayway chemical plant.
Honors & Publications
- Licensed Professional Engineer, State of New Jersey
- Thai, conversationally fluent.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Instructor for several Exxon and non-Exxon, (ARAMCO) training courses on I&CS fundamentals.
- Represented Exxon Research and Engineering Company (ER&E) on Exxon's worldwide Instrumentation Standards Committees.
- Chairman of the Bayway Instrument Practices Committee, which determined I&CS policies and practices at the refinery.
- Authored several design specifications that included ergonomics/human factors associated with operator consoles and control rooms
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY