- Petroleum refining industry for domestic and international entities providing engineering design of 40 years.
- Instrumentation and Control Systems (I&CS), Safety Systems, Computer Simulation, Operator Training, HAZOP reviews.
- Integration of individual refinery engineering standards to Exxon engineering standards.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Engineering Advisor, 2005 - Present
- Design and HAZOP review for FEED and EPC phases of SAMREF (Saudi Aramco-ExxonMobil Joint Venture) MoGas Units.
- Participating in safety system and turbomachinery control system FATs.
- Reviewing SIL1, 2, & 3 calculations for MoGas Units (Invensys DCS/SIS).
- Evaluated Emerson DeltaV SIS for MacKenzie gas pipeline project (IOL).
- Reviewed applicable standards, basic engineering and construction design, performed HAZOP reviews, and provided start-up assistance (Fujian Refining and petrochemical project).
- Performed cold-eyes review of rapid cycle pressure swing adsorption plant, (Esso Europe).
- Performed detailed engineering and construction reviews for Singapore conversion project, (Esso).
- Prepared design specification for Chinese methanol-to-gasoline plant DCS, reactor interlock system, and reactor regeneration sequence control, (ExxonMobil Engineering).
- Participating in HAZOP and PI&D reviews.
- Providing start-up assistance.
- Evaluated Honeywell Safety Manager SIS for PNG LNG project, (ExxonMobil Development Corporation).
Exxon Research and Engineering, Lead Instrument and Control Systems Engineer, 1981 - 1999
- Participated in Augusta Refinery control house modernization project.
- Responsible for design, engineering, construction, and startup of DCS Control Systems:
- Guntong, Tabu & Palas offshore platforms, (Honeywell)
- Seligi offshore platform, (Rosemont).
- Design, engineering, construction, and startup of I&C systems:
- Mobile Bay Gas Project, (including onshore gas processing plant, three manned offshore platforms, and twelve unmanned wellhead platforms).
- Jotun FPSO and offshore platform project in North Sea, (Esso Norway).
- Baton Rouge Co-Gen project and controls modernization project, (Leeds & Northrup).
Project Engineer, 1979 - 1980
- For Exxon Chemical, Exxon Coal, Exxon Synthetics Union Carbide, Lion Oil Company, Carter Oil, Carter Coal, and Tex-A-Mation, working numerous projects and providing engineering consulting.
- Responsible for environmental Impact work - Exxon Coal liquefaction pilot plant and Colorado oil shale project.
- Lead instrument engineer for East Texas Lignite Gasification Project
- Developing Owner Philosophy Document.
- Supervising Exxon engineering preparation of design basis documents and design.
- Specifications for: Oxygen plant, steam boilers and steam distribution system, and other plant-wide instrumentation and computer controls.
Humble Oil and Refining, (Exxon Corp), Lead Instrument Engineer, 1966 - 1978
- Responsible for all instruments, analyzers, control systems, panels, for first DDC computer control project, a 60,000B/C cyclic powerformer.
- Supervised 15-20 engineers, 50-75 contract designers and draftsmen.
- Startup instrument engineer for 350MCFD LNG plant in Libya.
- Process contact engineer for Hydrodesulfurization unit in Baytown Refinery.
- Environmental engineer for Baytown Refinery.
- Process Design engineer for rainfall impounding basin project.
Phillips Petroleum, 1963 - 1966
- Hybrid Computer Simulation Analyst: process simulations for computer control.
Honors & Publications
- Led combination of Baytown, Baton Rouge, Bayway, and Billings Engineering Standards into Exxon Engineering Standards (Chairman, Exxon Refining Instrumentation Technical Subcommittee
- TSPE Outstanding Young Engineer
- Tau Beta Pi, Phi Kappa Phi, Outstanding LSU Student
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Texas, Austin, TX
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, TX