- Over 30 years' experience in mechanical engineering design and analysis for the power, petrochemical and refining industries.
- Analytical experience includes finite element analysis, fluid transient analysis, structural analysis, fatigue assessments, and flexibility analysis of piping systems.
- Design review of pressure vessels and piping, and advanced fracture mechanics and fitness-for-purpose evaluations of components.
- Design and analysis of concrete and steel framing for structures and pipe supports.
- Dynamic fluid transient analyses, data acquisition and analysis, vibration measurements.
- Performance of design and analysis in accordance with B31 piping codes, Section VIII pressure vessel codes, and structural codes.
- 3D CAD model-based design piping and structures in elevated temperatures.
Undisclosed Company, Technical Specialist, 1990 - Present
Foster Wheeler SPEC, Inc., Structural Engineer and Stress Analyst, 1981 - 1985
Taiwan Power Company, Taiwan, Civil Engineer, 1977 - 1979
Army Engineers, Taiwan, Engineering Officer, 1975 - 1977
Finite element analysis
- General finite element modeling, analysis, evaluation, and preparation of reports on equipment components under static, heat transfer, thermal stress, modal, and dynamic loadings.
- Thermal and stress analysis of steam generator and other components under steady and thermal transient loadings.
- Large, eccentric FCC Regenerator Vessel spent catalyst nozzle, (redesign of reinforcement).
- Butane, MTBE, and Methanol Storage Spheres, (brittle fracture risk evaluations).
- Double wall metallic underground piping systems and redesign to accommodate differential thermal expansion.
- Conducted vibration measurements and analysis of a refinery's hydrogen reformer feed inlet piping using data acquisition equipment and accelerometers.
- Designed steel framing and determined seismic and dynamic structure/equipment interactions for process plants.
Pressure Vessels and Piping
- Conducted pressure pulsation, vibrations data acquisition, and fluid transient simulation of high pressure piping of a 4,500 ton hydraulic press.
- Performed fluid transient analysis of key piping systems subject to dynamic loads during start-up, shut-down, valve closure in The Croton Water Treatment Plant, New York.
- Performed level 2 and 3 fitness for service evaluations of fixed equipment in accordance with API 579/ASME FFS-1.
- Reviewed designs of critical equipment for compliance with ASME B31 Piping Codes and Section VIII, Pressure Vessel Codes.
- Performed piping flexibility analysis, designed piping and pipe supports in connection with load sensitive equipment (pumps and turbines) using Caesar II.
- Evaluated FCC plenum chamber for increased temperature conditions.
- Evaluated fired heater tube supports for projects, and redesigned supports for existing units to improve long-term elevated temperature performance.
- Evaluated component fatigue life and creep damage.
- Evaluated and redesigned high temperature piping.
- Fitness-for-purpose/fracture risk/remaining life assessment of cracked, corroded vessels and piping.
Troubleshooting, Redesign, and Failure Analysis
- Reactor head with excessive vibration due to mixer.
- Compressor piping systems, (vibration and overload problems).
- Heat exchangers with tube vibration.
- Power plant and other piping system waterhammer and support problems.
- Boiler superheater.
- Vertical and helical tube coil structures in various chemical reactor vessels.
- Designed piping and pipe support for high temperature lines operating in the creep regime (1800oF) for the Marble Hill Annealing Demonstration Project.
- Demonstrating the feasibility of annealing a nuclear reactor subjected to neutron irradiation.
- Designed and analyzed metallic and non-metallic, (thermoplastic and reinforced thermosetting resin) components including double containment piping systems.
- Review of design and inspected construction of vessels and piping for major capital projects.
- Field design and direction of construction for a major reconstruction of structures adjacent to a CO boiler convection section during a refinery turnaround.
- Providing temporary support and correction of differential thermal expansion problems.
- Redesign of structural systems including major Derrick flare structure and ore conveyor support.
Performed structural analysis and model-based design
- Structural steel and reinforced concrete.
- Numerous miscellaneous structures such as platforms, catwalks, etc.
- Developed load and resistance curves for design of blast-resistant structures.
- Designed steel and reinforced concrete structures and reviewed steel manufacturers' shop drawings.
- Designed access road, pavement, and reinforced concrete retaining walls for underground structures.
Honors & Publications
- Licensed Professional Engineer - State of New Jersey
Publications and Patents
- Presented at ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference.
- Co-Authored papers covering design and analysis of pressure vessels and piping components.
- Ph.D. Applied Mechanics, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- M.S. Structural Engineering, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- B.S. Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei City, Taiwan