- Over 38 years Instrument and Electrical (I/E) systems in the chemical, petrochemical and power industries.
- Project management for chemical plant I/E improvement projects, providing 30 years' experience.
- Supervising technical personnel for over 40 years.
- Broad understanding of civil, mechanical, piping, and structural engineering principles.
- Field Transmitter Engineering Standard and the Control Valve Engineering Standard Sponsor.
Undisclosed Company, Control Systems Inspector, 2009 Present
- Participated in a GAP assessment audit of the SUNOCO Marcus Hook Refinery.
- Inspected refinery engineering and maintenance personnel procedures and practices for the routine care of the process instrumentation and control systems.
- Witnessed the factory acceptance testing of a distributed control system.
Fluor Engineering, Sr. Instrument and Controls Engineer, 2006 - 2009
- Member of an international project team for engineering, procurement and construction of an acetyls complex.
- Ensured execution of Instrument engineering and design to follow company protocol.
- Assisted with the specification of the DCS and selection of the DCS manufacturer.
- Monitored company's adherence to engineering specifications.
- Traveled in the USA, Europe and Far East to witness testing of a variety of packaged control systems, including on-stream process analyzer applications.
Independent Consultant, Instrument and Electrical Manager, 2004
- Helped design, procure, deliver, and construct a 500MW power plant.
- Managed electrical power systems and supervisory control systems contractors.
- Coordinated activities required for the ship loading of material and major equipment bound for the job site.
Lyondell Chemical Company, Technical and Construction Lead, 1999 - 2003
- Managed a project team to update the plant from outdated analog panel mounted single component controls to a modern ABB distributed control system.
- Executing the completion of all I/E work, including upgrades to several analyzer installations.
- Managed the definition phase of site of a chemical plant with two Dylark process units.
- Developed a scope for combining the two units into one modern distributed control system with a new control center.
- Establishing a site for construction of the new control center that was accepted by local plant management.
- Establishing a combined units I/O count.
- Producing a definition phase budget [ /- 30%].
- Coordinating I/E turnaround for Chemical Plant.
ARCO/Lyondell Chemical Company, Project Manager and Principal I&E Engineer, 1987 - 1998
- Coordinated I/E Turnaround and managed a team to complete execution of all I/E work.
- Managed technical teams for chemical plant improvement projects, including: A $15 million power distribution upgrade project to upgrade 15KV power distribution system throughout the entire plant.
- Controls system upgrade project.
- Definition phase project to consolidate the control building and controls system of two DyLite plants.
- Plant modification project that was 65% controls upgrade and 35% piping upgrade and modification.
- Styrene chemical plant controls system upgrade project.
- I/E lead at the Dylark control room building and controls system upgrade.
- Project Construction Manager for the TPE plant project in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Construction and Startup Advisor in Korea for the joint venture of the POSM (Propylene Oxide/Styrene Monomer) Plant.
- I/E Construction Superintendent for the completion of POSM 2 plant.
ARCO Chemical Company, Sr. Instrument and Electrical Engineer, 1976 - 1986
- I/E Project Coordinator for the EB (Existing Buildings) plant retrofit project and the PG Plant Debottleneck project.
- Coordinated feed flex and product flex project for olefins plant and PEA Project.
- Field Advisor for the POTBA Plant Debottleneck Project
- Maintained site Instrument control systems and electrical power systems, including 15KV, 5KV and 600V power distribution and hardware.
- Supervised technical personnel in charge of the maintaining I/E systems and equipment.
- Assisted in onboarding I/E Maintenance staff for POSM plant.
Honors & Publications
- Co-Authored Alarm System Engineering Guideline
- Drafted the Engineering Guideline for the Checkout of New Control Systems