- Process development and optimization, through research and development for the chemical, mining, and metallurgical industries.
- Laboratory services in development processes for primary and secondary metal production, hydrogen technologies, and waste treatment.
- Reduction processes in energy costs and environmental impact of metal production.
- Data generation for feasibility of novel process.
- Reaction mechanisms of commercial processes and new process development and evaluation.
- Chemical analysis
- Techno-economic analysis
- Custom experimental design
- Computational thermodynamics
Undisclosed Company, Principal, 2002 - Present
- Completion of projects (over 150) providing over a decade of services with approximately 20 employees.
- Working with existing corporate research labs as part of the project team or running the entire development project, including process modelling, CAPEX/OPEX, unit design, and experimental work.
- Experimental work requiring a deep understanding of the chemistry and process design.
- RioTintoAlcan (France)
- Vale (Brazil)
- Glencore (Canada)
- Barrick (Canada)
- Timet (USA)
- Siemens (Israel)
- Rockwood (Germany)
- Huntsman (England)
- AngloAmerican (South Africa)
- Metaux Speciaux (France)
- Saudi Aramco (Saudi Arabia)
- Rain CII (USA)
- Reduction of SO2 generation during nickel smelting
- Reaction mechanisms during reduction of saprolite
- Direct reduced iron from iron ore
- Lead purification circuit improvements
- Liquidus determination of Ni slags
- Gold/arsenic concentrate roasting
- Graphite and petroleum coke purification
- Treatment of Al salt cake waste
- Antimony concentrate treatment
- Optimization of copper slag cooling circuit
- Thermal upgrading of PGM concentrate
- Desulfurization of petroleum coke
- Calcination of limestone/dolomite
- Improvements to sodium electrolysis
- Anode wear in lithium chloride electrolysis
- Optimization and operation of magnesium chloride electrolysis
- Aluminum chloride electrolysis
- Inert anodes for aluminum production
- Wide range of aluminum primary and secondary production projects
- Titanium powder production
- Molten salt energy storage
Undisclosed Company, Principal, 1997 - 2001
- A laboratory consulting firm with projects mainly in chemical thermodynamics for process development.
Honors & Publications
- Post-doctoral work: Process Metallurgy, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- Supervised over a dozen graduate theses, (for M.Sc. and Ph.D. students) with funding as lead investigator
- Founder and faculty supervisor of the Queen's Living Energy Laboratory student design group
Instructor for the following courses
- APSC 100 "Practical Engineering Modules" (Over 30 supervised in total)
- MINE 301 "Introduction to Recycling"
- APSC 190 "Engineering and the Workplace"
- METL 800 Graduate Introduction to Metallurgy (Chemical Metallurgy part)
- METL 360/460 (Professional Practice)
- METL 361 (Hydro and Pyrometallurgy Laboratory)
- METL 240 "The Chemical Production of Engineering Materials"
- French, fluent
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- MetSoc/CIM, (Canadian Institute of Mining) - President
- TMS/AIME (The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society/American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical,and Petroleum Engineers)
- Theme D (Powertrains) coordinator, AUTO21 National Centres of Excellence
- Theme B (Hydrogen storage) coordinator, H2CAN NSERC Strategic Network
- Lead researcher, Hydrogen storage, Queen's-RMC Fuel Cell Research Centre
- NSERC Strategic Projects Review Committee
- Best Poster of Conference - TMS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX
- Best Paper - TMS Magnesium, San Francisco, CA
- First Capital Challenge 1st prize $50,000 (business plan competition)
- Past President's Memorial Medal, CIM
- TMS Young Leader Intern
- Dean's Award
- Queen's Graduate Award
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Ortech Best Student Paper Award, CMSC, (Coordinate Metrology Systems Conference)
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of national and international publications in: Peer reviewed journals, Science magazines, Conferences, and Chapters of numerous educational text books.
- National and international patents (7)
- Ph.D. Chemical Metallurgy, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- M.S. Chemical Metallurgy, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- B.S. Engineering Chemistry, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada