- Medicinal chemistry consulting and discovery.
- Drug research and development (pre-clinical and clinical).
- Patent interference consulting and IP management strategy.
- Managing medicinal and organic chemistry outsourcing projects.
- Licensing negotiations; due diligence.
- Chemical safety training.
- Neuroscience drug discovery.
- Cardiovascular drug discovery.
- Anti-infective drug research.
- Syntheses of complex, diverse targets through novel methodologies.
- Structure-based design using enzyme-inhibitor crystal structures.
- Global organization in leading outsourcing and multi-disciplinary discover project teams.
- Ligand-based drug design for G-protein-coupled receptors.
Expert Witness Experience
- Provided expert testimony through depositions in patent interference and trade secret cases.
Independent Consultant, Present
- Assignments include early phase research proposals of faculty or start-up entrepreneurs (e.g. QED program, University City Sciences Center).
- Advise clients on drug design, research and development.
- Guide clients on IP management strategy.
Bristol Myers Squibb, Hopewell, NJ, Senior Principal Scientist, 1987 - 2012
- Led two projects for several years as a chemistry working group co-chair. Set strategy and co-managed the discovery research efforts of an interdisciplinary team of scientists, which placed compounds into safety assessment studies and clinical trials.
- Delivered six development compounds, three Phase 1 compounds and one Phase 2b compound. Contributed to clinical development plans.
- Directed the research of chemistry collaborators from external alliances in India and America which accelerated neuroscience and cardiovascular programs through the timely delivery of intermediates and final compounds.
- Invented clinical candidates and promoted original research for schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, thrombosis and bacterial infections.
- Solved complex problems in structure-based design, lead optimization, reduction in off-target activities and optimization of pharmacokinetic properties to rapidly identify candidate compounds.
- Advised management on licensing opportunities and complex patent interference cases.
- Designed efficient syntheses of complex targets from diverse chemical series (e.g. heterocycles, carbohydrates, macrocycles, peptidomimetics).
- Wrote technical portions of external and internal regulatory documents.
- Mentored junior scientists (B.S, M.S, Ph.D.) and cooperative education students.
- Trained chemists in laboratory safety and organic chemistry.
- Analyzed crystal structure data for enzyme-inhibitor complexes to discover structurally-diverse Factor XIa or Factor VIIa inhibitors which had high potency and/or oral bioavailability.
- Designed efficient syntheses of complex macrocyclic inhibitors of Factor XIa and Factor VIIa.
- Discovered gamma-secretase inhibitors for the possible treatment of Alzheimer's disease which had high potency, good oral bioavailability in rats and dogs and good brain penetrance in rats.
- Invented Corticotropin-Releasing Factor (CRF) receptor antagonists for the possible treatment of depression or anxiety disorders.
- BMS-562086, a CRF antagonist was safe in Phase I and Phase IIa clinical trials and was entered into proof-of-concept Phase IIb clinical trials for anxiety and depression.
- Discovered sigma protein ligands for the potential treatment for schizophrenia including the clinical and backup candidates for the program.
Pfizer Inc., Groton, CT, Senior Research Scientist, 1981 - 1987
- Designed potent antibacterial and anticoccidial drugs for the treatment of drug-resistant infections.
Honors & Publications
- Patent agent training.
- German (reading and writing)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society, Medicinal and Organic Chemistry Divisions
- Pharmaceutical Consulting Consortium International, Inc.
- ChemPharma Professional Association
Publications and Patents
- Author on 43 articles in peer-reviewed journals.
- Author on 41 presentations before national and international scientific meetings.
- Inventor on 29 published U.S. Patents and on 18 published foreign patents.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- M.S. Chemistry, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- B.S. Chemistry, Yale University, New Haven, CT