- More than 17 years' experience in the fields of immunology, infectious diseases, cellular biology and clinical research.
- Vaccine development and validation.
- Immunoassays development and validation.
- Disease-specific biomarker research.
- Infectious diseases research and development, in particular in Virology (HIV and Dengue virus), including clinical interventions.
- Inflammatory response research and development, in particular as linked to development of chronic diseases and microbiome research.
- Adverse childhood experiences and toxic stress research and development, including clinical interventions.
- Global health and program development in resource-limited settings.
- Trained and mentored medical and non-medical staff at international level in the subject areas: Human viruses and Immunology, The Immune system, and Project Management for NGOs.
- Over 50 doctors, nurses, laboratory assistants and peer educators in the field of HIV internationally.
- Over 350 medical students, research assistants, undergraduate and master students.
Independent Consultant, Immunology and Global Health Consulting, 2013 - Present
- Providing expert advice and strategic directions to biotech, pharmaceutical companies and start-ups.
- Offering services related to technology transfer, development of products in emerging markets and facilitation of partnerships and collaborations in the fields of vaccine development, infectious disease therapeutics, biomarkers and new emerging research in the field of inflammation, microbiome and child abuse and neglect. Other services include public speaking and training.
Undisclosed University, Professor, 2014 - Present
Division of Experimental Medicine, Department of Medicine
- Focus on the inflammatory response and its interactions with the microbiome.
Executive Director, Center for Global Public Health, 2013
- Strategic planning and coordination of trans-disciplinary research projects focusing on global health.
Project Scientist, 2009 - 2013
- Developed the human immunology component of the lab in California, and at the National Virology lab in Managua, Nicaragua.
- Technical expertise: Flow cytometry, ELISA, avidity measures, B and T cell ELISPOT, NK cell biology and ADCC tests.
- Wrote several grant proposals in response to NIH RFA on the immune response to dengue virus and immune correlate of protections.
Center for Youth Wellness, San Francisco, Director of Research, 2013 - 2014
- Non-profit focusing on adverse childhood experiences and toxic stress.
- Developed the foundation of the research program of the center, focusing on biomarkers of toxic stress and interventions in the context of adverse childhood experiences.
Medecins du Monde, France and Burma, HIV Advisor, 2007 - 2008
- Technical and programmatic support to international HIV programs in Africa and Asia.
- Training of coordinators and field staff members on program planning and HIV.
- Strategic planning in a multidisciplinary setting involving field, communication and financial interests.
Hubrecht Laboratorium, Utrecht, Netherlands, Post-Doctoral Fellow, 2005 - 2006
- Management, coordination and implementation of research projects focusing on the role of the Wnt, signaling in normal development of the intestine and tumor transformation.
Honors & Publications
- SCART Short Course on Antiretroviral Therapies for developing countries, Antwerpen
- Human Frontier Science Program fellow, Utrecht the Netherlands
- Marie-Curie Intra-European fellow, Utrecht, the Netherlands
- Ligue Nationale contre le cancer fellow, Paris, France
- Assistance-Publique Hopitaux de Paris MS fellow, Paris, France
- Board certified in Hematology in France
- Italian, native-speaking
- French, very fluent writing and reading, attended French schools
- Spanish, very fluent writing and reading, worked in Nicaragua
- Portuguese, elementary proficiency
- Dutch, basic understanding
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Reviewer for PLoS NTD
- Associate Editor Frontiers in Microbial Immunity
- Member of the American Public Health Association
- Member of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Member of the American Association of Immunology
- Member of the IASC Task Force, HIV Humanitarian settings, Geneva, Switzerland
- Travel award, Keystone Symposium, Seattle, WA.
- Young scientist travel award, European network of Immunology Institutes.
- Silver Medal Honor, M.D. thesis, Paris, France.
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of numerous publications: In high-ranked peer-review journals, medical case reports, national and international conferences, laboratory start-up procedures and workshops.
- Ph.D. Biochemistry and Immunology, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
- M.D. Hematology and Immunology, Universite Rene-Descartes, Paris, France
- M.S. Biology of blood cells, Universite Jussieu, Paris, France