- Clinical diagnostic research and development, oncology, gene therapy and editing, translational medicine, and industrial microbiology.
- DNA repair, gene therapy, gene repair and editing.
- Oncology research, including small molecule aptamers and translational medicine.
- Industrial microbiology and synthetic biology strain engineering to improve peptide production in E. coli.
- CLIA accreditation and compliance for clinical diagnostic laboratories.
- Collaboration with physicians and researchers to explore and market new diagnostic opportunities.
- Management experience with research and laboratory operations.
- Next generation sequencing (NGS) technology experience for genome, exome, RNA-sequencing.
- Clinical diagnostic assay research for Borrelia burgdorferi, Lyme disease.
- Expert Panelist with the Rare Genomics Institute, which helps patients with orphan diseases initiate and fund personalized research projects through a dedicated microfunding platform and highly-selective network of leading academic scientists and commercial institutions.
Undisclosed Company, Chief Operating Officer, 2012 - Present
- Next generation sequencing (NGS) technology for genome, exome, RNA, and a variety of clinical disease panels.
- Development of commercialization of large-scale genetic diagnostic information in a disease-specific manner (e.g., deafness-causing, cancer-related, for both research and clinical purposes.
Rare Genomics Institute, St. Louis, MO, Expert Panelist, 2012 - Present
- Assist patients with orphan diseases initiate and fund personalized research projects through a dedicated microfunding platform and highly-selective network of leading academic scientists and commercial institutions.
Advanced Laboratory Services, Sharon Hill, PA, Associate Director, 2011 - 2012
- Participate in the daily operations of a medium to high complexity clinical diagnostic laboratory.
- Developing new-to-market diagnostics while providing high quality services for our clients and their patients.
- Contribute to research, development, sample processing, marketing, and management of 12-member clinical and research team.
E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Co., Wilmington, DE, Molecular Biologist, 2008 - 2011
- Central Research & Development (CRD).
- Biochemical Science and Engineering (BCSE).
- Strain engineering to improve peptide production in E. coli strains.
- Identify traits beneficial for project goals in fermentation.
University of Delaware, Newark, DE, Doctoral Candidate, 2002 - 2008
- Targeted gene repair in mammalian cells using single-stranded DNA oligonucleotides in an applied genomic laboratory.
- Novel use of single-stranded DNA oligonucleotides to selectively kill tumor cells.
- Research Assistantship: Delaware Center for Translational Cancer Research.
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, 2000 - 2002
- Senior Laboratory Technician, Molecular Microbiology and Immunology Laboratory
- Studied the genetic diversity of Borrelia burgdorferi, and abiotic and biotic factors effecting the life cycle of Borrelia.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG)
- Gettysburg College, Deans Honor List and Deans Commendation List
Publications and Patents
Author and Co-Author of numerous publications in peer reviewed journals - subject matters:
- Polypeptide self-assembly enhances its expression, processing, and function in a Bionanotechnology application.
- Using bleomycin to stimulate targeted gene repair activity in mammalian cells.
- A specific guanosine-rich oligonucleotide, capable of forming stable quadruplex structures selectively blocks proliferation and induces apoptosis in esophageal tumor cells.
- Single-strand DNA Oligonucleotides increase sensitivity of cancer cells to chemotherapeutic agents.
- Mammal Diversity and Infection Prevalence in the Maintenance of Enzootic Lyme Disease.
- Spotted-fever group Rickettsia in Dermacentor variabilis.
- DNA damage and homologous recombination regulate the frequency and process of targeted gene repair.
- Abiotic and biotic factors affecting the enzootic cycle of Lyme disease.
- Environmental factors contributing to the prevalence of Lyme disease in the white-footed mouse populations.
- 2 U.S. Patents.
- Ph.D. Biology, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- B.S. Biology, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, PA