- Environment, health, safety, and security - professional services.
- EHS and security management revitalization and organizational excellence.
- Safety culture development and improved behavioral ownership at all levels.
- EHS analysis of needs, assessment and prioritization of risk.
- Workers' comp and health services management.
- Ergonomic design and employee-engaged safety and health.
- Excellent training and educational presenter.
- Safety program development and implementation.
- Multi-site and multi-national experience.
- MSDS and Labeling Hazard Communications.
- EHS Compliance.
- Studies in sub-chronic, inhalation toxicology and chemical safety in- vivo.
Undisclosed Company, Safety and Health Consultant, Philadelphia, PA, 2012 - Present
- Safety and health consulting, support, and training.
Carpenter Technology, Inc., (Specialty Metals), Reading, PA, 2012
- Corporate Director EHS and asset protection services (with 30 world-wide sites).
- Managed and lead EHS program improvements for seven EHS/Security departments with over 40 employees and 30 contracted staff.
- Expanded corporate programs to all non-Reading PA sites, including the integration of two new companies acquired within the past year.
- Initiated programs included: the Safety Journey; Organizational-Specific Safety (EHS) Plans; new Workers' Comp (WC) third-party administration (TPA); partnered with AON and FM Global to manage risk and begin business continuity management; proposed new model for environmental affairs management; assessed and proposed new contractor safety model (ISN); new GHS and HazCom SDS and REACH management; developed long term IH plan; incident analysis; company EHS Communications; and began process to comply with safety management systems models.
- Managed operating budget of 11 million dollars and determined prioritization for over 5 million dollars of capital improvements. Saved $450,000 through new WC TPA and budget reconciliation.
Integra LifeSciences, (Medical Device and Biotech), Plainsboro, NJ, 2009 - 2012
- Corporate Director and Department Head, Environmental, Health, & Safety / Security, for various world-wide sites.
- Newly created position and department to develop Corporate EHS programs and provide leadership to 6 major businesses in 18 domestic and 8 world-wide sites, serving over 3300 employees in the medical device, instruments, and regenerative medical field.
- Manage and provide leadership to a diverse range of site regulatory compliance needs, cultures, and history resulting from an acquisition-based expansion of the company.
H.E & Associates, Independent Security and Management Consulting, 2009
- Provided on-site support for Tengion, Inc., URL Pharma; and other consulting clients.
- Environment, health, safety, and security consulting: Consulted and supported clients seeking EHS solutions to meet company stakeholder needs (investors, regulatory agencies, management, employees, and customers) and compliance.
- As the Interim Manager of URL Pharma Company provided Safety and Training consulting.
Tengion, Inc., (Biotech/Pharmaceutical Company), PA and NC, 2007 - 2009
- Manager and Department Head, for Employee and Environmental Health and Safety department.
- New position and department created: Developed and implemented EHS programs for start-up bio-technology company with Pennsylvania and North Carolina GMP facilities to meet compliance requirements and to improve EHS performance.
- Developing interdependent safety culture where all company staff and operations proactively incorporate EHS into their work to protect people, property, and the environment.
Neose Technologies, EHS / Security Consulting and Management, 2002 - 2008
- Provided on-site support for Tengion, Inc., other consulting clients.
- EHS solutions, revitalization of existing programs, training, and education to client companies.
- Subcontract consultant for several EHS consulting groups.
- Acting EHS Manager for Neose, Tengion, and supported nine other clients.
Director and Department Head, for Neose Biotech and Pharmaceutical Company, PA and CA
- Provided: Environment, Health, Safety and Security (EHS&S) direction and support.
- New position and department created: Developed, implemented and managed highly successful EHS and security policies and programs from the ground-up.
- Managed multiple sites and the commissioning and construction of new sites in a growing biotech pharmaceutical company.
- Negotiated and managed environmental permits and compliance.
- GMP Pilot Plant construction, EHS management, and commissioning.
- Audited operations.
- Reduced OSHA OIIs from ~ 5.0 to <0.2.
- Decommissioned facilities and operations as the company went to a more "virtual" business model.
- Consolidated systems and reorganized EHS programs so company could operate without a full time EHS/Security professional.
Rohm and Haas Company, (DOW Chemicals), 1984 - 2002
- Supported various sites and positions over an 18 year career.
Technical Center Company Consultant, Environmental, Health and Safety, 2000 - 2002
- Consulted with management to improve EHS programs, culture, interpretation of standards and regulations, and sharing best practices.
- Provided technical and facilitation support in hazard analysis, and incident investigation.
Corporate EHS Reporting Manager (company wide), 1999 - 2000
- New position created to manage the integration of Morton International into Rohm and Haas EHS practice.
- Responsible for redesigning corporate EHS workplace safety reporting systems for all world-wide sites (over 150 sites).
- Developed new web-based corporate EHS incident communications process to deliver real-time metrics and corresponding graphics - efficiency reduction of four FTE-hour resources.
- Coordinated responses to stakeholder and stockholders inquiries regarding EHS and sustainable development EHS annual report.
Corporate Hazard Communication and Labeling Manager (company wide), 1989 - 1999
- For the product integrity HazCom Department was responsible for developing systems to comply with global workplace and transportation labeling at over 50 world-wide manufacturing and warehousing sites.
- Functionally designed new in-house computer-based labeling system, with continuous use.
- Redesigned labeling operation enabled staff compliment reduction and improved efficiency.
- Supervised MSDS and Labeling Hazard Communications staff of ten.
Principal Investigator, Toxicology Department, 1984 - 1989
- Designed, implemented and authored sub-chronic and inhalation toxicology and chemical safety studies in- vivo.
Honors & Publications
- American Society of Safety Engineers, Philadelphia Chapter) ASSE
- American Industrial Hygiene Association - AIHA, Philadelphia Chapter
- American Society of Industrial Security - ASIS
- National Safety Council, NSC
- M.S. Environmental-Occupation, Health, College of Health Professionals, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- M.B.A. Management, La Salle University, Philadelphia, PA
- B.S. Lab Animal Science, Delaware Valley College - Science and Agriculture, Doylestown, PA