- Process simulation and modeling using both ChemCad and ASPEN.
- Dry flue gas scrubbing and related emissions control systems.
- Combustion and power systems.
- Biomass gasification and syngas/producer gas cleaning.
- Fluidized bed technologies for chemical reactions.
- Chemical and physical separations of submicron particles.
- Carbon dioxide capture and energy integration.
- Sorbent reactivity testing and selection for various emissions control systems.
Undisclosed Company, President, 2004 - Present
- Founder of a company that provides consulting and testing services for the chemical, environmental, and power generation industries.
Undisclosed University, Energy Research, 1988 - Present
Assistant Adjunct Professor, Mechanical Engineering, 2010 - Present
- Teach Power Generation Technologies and Combustion Phenomena courses.
Program Manager, 2005 - 2012
- Senior manager responsible for pilot plant and process development projects within the power generation group.
- Developed a utility industry consortium to research new methods for capturing carbon dioxide from fossil-fired power plants.
- Developed methods and instrumentation for the efficient control of gasification and pyrolysis processes.
- Developed a capacitive deionization process for cleanup of wastewater from power plants.
Senior Research Engineer, Center for Applied Energy Research, University, 1988 - 2005
- Developed a variety of research projects including carbon management, biomass gasification, combustion, semi-dry FGD with circulating fluidized beds and gas instrumentation.
- Worked with electric utilities and filtration vendors to solve site-specific process and particle separation problems.
- Developed an innovative dry separation system for purifying waste streams of plastics, metals, and/or minerals.
- Researched ultrafiltration techniques to recover catalyst from FT slurry.
East Kentucky Power, Winchester, KY, Production Engineer, 1984 - 1988
- Project leader and design engineer for various power plant improvement and environmental control projects which included:
- Modernization of power plant process control and sensor systems.
- Retrofit of electrostatic precipitators.
- High purity water system instrument up grade.
- Waste water treatment plant up-grade and FGD scrubber optimization through computer models.
Kentucky Center for Energy Research Laboratory, Lexington, KY, Associate Engineer, 1981 - 1984
- Primary engineer responsible for process control and instrumentation for a fluidized bed combustion pilot plant.
Honors & Publications
Publications and Patents
- Author of over 30 articles in peer reviewed journals and college textbooks.
- Currently hold 6 U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY