- Patents and intellectual property: Analysis of patents and claims for mechanical products, machines and systems.
- Failure analysis and forensics: Evaluation of failure root causes for electromechanical products and machines.
- Safety and risk analysis: Analysis of machine guarding and interlock designs for operator protection.
- Automated assembly machines: Specification, design, development, construction and operation of automated assembly machines.
- Vacuum metalizers and metalizing machines: Specification, design, development, construction and operation of automated assembly machines.
- Optical disc manufacturing equipment: Evaluation of machine operation, process, safety and reliability.
- Sensors: design, debug, use and operation of various sensor technologies in production machinery.
- Ionization systems: Design and use of ionizers for static elimination, charging and discharging of plastics.
- UV curable coating systems and machinery: Design and debug of UV curing systems.
- Other technologies: Robotics, CD, DVD, CDR, and injection molding machinery.
Expert Witness Experience
- Workplace Injury - Safety interlock and machine design analysis.
- Cryo Fluid Piping Failure and Injury - Assessment of cause.
- Compact Disc Piracy Case - Evaluation of evidence, report.
- Intellectual Property - Evaluation of intellectual property for valuation assessment.
- Patent Infringement - Evaluation of claims, report.
- Workplace Injury - Forensic analysis of failures.
- Workplace Injury - Evaluation of machine guarding and interlocking.
- Machine Failure - Evaluation of design.
- Deposition-Physical Vapor.
Undisclosed Company, President and Principal Engineer, 1998 - Present
- Engineering consulting relating to patents, intellectual property, product design and process automation.
Steinke Beyer, Lost Altos Hills, CA, East Coast Regional Manager, 2000 - Present
- Engineering consulting relating to patents, intellectual property, failure analysis, safety and human factors engineering, and product remediation.
Marca Coating Technologies, LLC, Scarborough, ME, 2009 - 2011
- As Vice President of Sales and Innovation engineering development and intellectual protection of new vacuum coating machines and technologies.
D2 Inline Solutions, LLC, Scarborough, ME, President, 2001 - 2009
- Development, intellectual property protection and reduction to practice of new production processes for coating plastic parts.
First Light Technology, Inc., Saco, ME, 1998 - 1991
Director of Technology Development, 1997 - 1998
- Design and development of patented DVD manufacturing processes.
Director of Engineering, 1991 - 1997
- Design and development compact disc and CD-R production machinery.
Chapman Corp., Vice President of Engineering, 1985 - 1991
- Design of patented static elimination equipment.
GTE Products Corporation, Standish, ME, Senior Engineer, 1982 - 1985
- Design of patented heating products.
Bell Telephone Laboratory, Whippany, NJ, Technical Staff, 1979 - 1982
- Design of digital tape backup systems.
Honors & Publications
- Professional Engineer-P.E. (Maine)
- English (spoken and written)
- French (spoken and written)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, National Society of Professional Engineers
- Member, American Society of Safety Engineers
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Member, Society of Vacuum Coaters
- Member, Northeastern University Engineering Department - Industrial Advisory Board
- Past President, Windham Educational Foundation Board of Directors
- Past instructor, PE Exam review class, University of Southern Maine
- Participant, State of Maine Commission on Science and Technology Literacy
Publications and Patents
- Author of numerous articles for; technical magazines, technical reports, presentations, seminars, and conferences.
- 18 U.S. patents.
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Northeastern University, Boston, MA