- Industrial experience of 25 years in energy curable (ultraviolet / electron beam) coatings and laminating adhesives for graphic arts and food packaging industries.
- Knowledgeable of photochemistry, monomers, polymers, inks, coatings, adhesives, and interfaces.
- Design, synthesis of acrylic reactive monomers and polymers.
- Formulating energy curable and conventional coatings and adhesives.
- Using vehicles such as acrylics, polyesters, epoxies, polyurethanes as building blocks.
- Planning, testing and data analysis.
- Feasibility and application studies.
- TSCA, EPA and FDA compliance.
- Water based coatings.
- UV and EB processors (set-up, operation and maintenance).
- Coating application equipment and process refinement.
- Process scaling-up.
- Applying DOE, SPC or other statistical tools to formulation optimization and process control.
- Printing inks: Formulation research and product evaluation (associated with coatings and adhesives).
- Printing and coating application methods: Letterpress, gravure, flexo, litho and screen printing methods (associated with coatings and adhesives).
- Pigment wetting and dispersion.
- Substrate screening (paper, PE, OPP, PET, PVC, metallized films, metal, wood, and glass).
- Pressure sensitive adhesives (UV/EB curable resins and waterborne).
- Surfactants, defoamers, stabilizers and flow additives used in coating and adhesive formulations.
- Packaging process control and equipment evaluation.
- Analytical instrument and data interpretation.
Independent Consultant, Present
Rohm and Haas Company, Elgin, IL, Technical Manager, 1993 - 2007
- Planned, organized and assigned short term and long term research and development projects.
- Identified problems, eliminated bottlenecks and found solutions.
- Designed and synthesized new monomers, co-polymers, oligomers and adhesion promoters for coating and adhesive formulations.
- Developed water based primer and blister pack coatings for graphic arts.
- Developed FDA compliance EB curable release topcoats for cold seal applications.
- Developed FDA compliance EB curable laminating adhesives for food packaging applications.
- Developed training protocols for production personnel and assisted in customer press trials.
Morton International, Woodstock, IL, Group Leader, Polymer System, 1987 - 1992
- Developed UV curable laminating adhesives for paper//film, film//film, film//metallized film.
- Developed UV curable laminating adhesives for glass laminates (TV flat-screen application).
- Developed abrasion resistant coatings for solar film and security film.
- Developed 3-D UV curable optical coating for photographic application.
- Assisted plant start-up and provided on-site technical support.
Morton Thiokol Company, Trenton, NJ, Senior Chemist, 1981 - 1986
- Synthesized polysulfide prepolymers, polyester, polyether, urethane acrylates, epoxies, epoxy acrylates and reactive monomers.
- Developed non-wax scuff-resistant UV coatings for PVC floor tiles.
- Developed moisture resistance primary and secondary Optical Fiber coatings.
- Developed high resistivity conformal coating for electronic applications.
Atlantic Richfield Chemical Company, Philadelphia, PA, Senior Scientist, 1978 - 1980
- Designed and characterized polyurethanes for thermal insulation foams.
- Investigated polymer rheology and property-structure relationship.
- Analyzed and interpreted thermal analysis data.
Honors & Publications
- Chinese (spoken and written)
- German (written)
- Developed and commercialized UV high speed overprint varnish products lines (Mira-Glos™ and Seri-Glos™) to serve the graphic art and packaging industries.
- Boosted the product annual sales from $ 2 million to $15 million.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- RadTech International
Publications and Patents
- Author of technical papers and presentations at ACS, Tappi, RadTech, CMM, SME are published in the Conference Proceedings.
- 4 U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, University of Texas at Austin, TX
- M.S. Organic Chemistry, University of Texas at El Paso, TX
- B.S. Chemistry Cheng-Kung University, Taiwan