- Food product development and technology.
- Microencapsulation technology and delivery systems.
- Hydrocolloid technology.
- Functional foods and dietary supplements.
- Confectionery and chewing gum, baking, beverages and sweet goods experience.
- Technical management and open innovation development.
- Expert witness (defendant and plaintiff).
- Lab build-out and lab management experience.
- Flavor technology.
- Short-course developer and adjunct professor at Montclair State University and Rutgers University.
Undisclosed Company, Managing Principal, 2004 - Present
- Consultant for top multi-national food and dietary supplement companies developing strategy and prototypes for wellness applications.
- Assist companies in technology development in the areas of microencapsulation, hydrocolloids and open innovation new product development.
- Rutgers University and Montclair State University as an Adjunct Professor of Food Science teaching Foods and Nutrition courses; and Functional Foods/ Nutraceuticals and Dietary Supplements course.
- Microbia Precision Engineering as Director of Application Development business and encapsulation technology development for carotenoids from bio-fermentation (biotech start-up company).
- United Foods Corporation as V.P. of Research and Development, (consulting role) for new business and technology development.
- Johnson & Johnson/McNeil Nutritionals as a Project Manager on Splenda™, Viactiv™ and Lactaid™ brands.
- ConAgra Foods and Kraft Foods Global developing confidential technology, open innovation NPD and encapsulation solutions.
- Martek Biosciences, Senomyx and other new technology/start-up biotech companies in the commercialization and development of novel new ingredients.
Pinnacle Foods Corporation, Cherry Hill, NJ, Director and Product Development, 2006 - 2007
- Group Leader for Dunacn Hines®, Log Cabin® and Mrs. Butterworth® brands developing new product lines and extensions.
- Launched 4 new innovative products to market, including Oven-Ready™ frozen brownies.
Firmenich, Inc., Princeton, NJ, Global Product Design Team Manager, North America, 2005 - 2006,
- Constructed new labs and managed flavor application group developing encapsulated flavors and new technology for sweet goods applications.
- Developed proprietary technology and served as North American encapsulation technology leader.
Natrol, Inc., Chatsworth, CA, Vice President of Technology and Product Development, 2003 - 2004
- Member of senior executive management team developing strategy and execution of research and development initiatives. Key technical advisory to the CEO.
- Developed labs and research and development teams and launched numerous wellness products in food and dietary supplement formats.
Mars, Inc., Vernon, CA, New Technology Manage, 2001 - 2003
- Developed new concepts and prototypes for pet foods and pet snacks.
- Developed wellness and functional food products for pets and human applications.
- Led development of Cocoa Via™ brand of functional foods that delivered heart health benefits.
Rhodia Food Ingredients, Inc., Cranbury, NJ, 1998 - 2001
- Filling the positions: Global Director of Innovation and Development and Director of Food Technology in North America.
- Developed new technology programs globally for texture applications and coordinated lab development globally for top 20 international food companies.
- Directed research and development functions for six food technology labs at two U.S. locations.
- Managed a staff of 25 on a $3.2 million research and development budget. Managed Ph.D. level managers.
Balchem Corporation, Slate Hill, NY, Commercial Research Director, 1995 - 1998
- Directed research program developing custom encapsulations for food and dietary supplement companies.
- Supported marketing efforts by presenting capabilities to customers and at trade shows globally.
Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, Chicago, IL, 1990 - 1995
- Filling the positions: Product Development Chemist and Sr. Exploratory Research Chemist.
- Invented new ingredient technology and new ingredient systems, encapsulated sweeteners and flavors for chewing gum applications.
- Developed new chewing gum products, improved dental benefits of chewing gum and supported intellectual property development (patents).
Dow Chemical Company, Midland, MI. Sr. Development chemist, 1987 - 1990
- Technical Service and development manager for food applications for METHOCEL™ food gums.
- Developed new applications for increasing barrier properties and reducing oil uptake in batter and breaded fried food applications.
Honors & Publications
- Adjunct Professor at Montclair State University and at Rutgers University in NJ.
- Intellectual property and patent development.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the Institute of Food Technologists
- American Chemical Society
- Controlled Release Society
Publications and Patents
- Numerous presentations given at IFT, AACC, FIE and other venues.
- Chapter in AACC book on Batter and Breadings.
- Over 35 patents (19 U.S. Patents, 17 foreign patents and 12 PCT's).
- Ph.D. Food Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- M.Phil. Food Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- M.S. Food Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- B.S. Food Science, Penn State University, University Park, PA