- Experience in the design, synthesis, and analysis of organic compounds.
- Experience with synthesis of nucleosides, nucleotides, lipids, detergents and other molecules.
- Experience with transfection lipids, dye-labeled nucleotides and PCR detergent projects.
- Patent and literature searches and forming competitive strategies.
- A registered Patent Agent performing scientific advisement on chemistry patent issues.
- Reverse engineering of competitor products.
- Industry experience working with patent attorneys and agents on intellectual property issues.
- Informatics and database software design and support with SQL and PL/SQL programming.
Independent Consultant, 2011 - Present
Undisclosed Company, Manufacturing Scientist, 2011 - Present
- Solve manufacturing problems and improve manufacturing processes.
- Manufacture labeled nucleotides, resins and magnetic bead products.
Life Technologies, Inc., Staff Scientist, 2002 - 2010
- Proposed, synthesized and formulated new organic small molecules for different projects.
- Attended patent review meetings and supported the IP Legal team on all projects with reviews and searches of patents and other literature and with reverse engineering work.
- Proposed strategies for projects based on information gained from these activities.
- Proposed and initiated a detergent project to work around competitors existing IP.
- Problem solving and chemistry work was a key factor in providing solutions for manufacturing when issues occurred with existing products.
- Synthesized the key, novel lipid used in Life Technologies new RNAi Max product.
- Completed the synthesis of some dye-labeled nucleotides for a project.
- Successful scale up and launch of protein solubilizer detergent products.
- Member of the company's Informatics and IP strategy teams.
Accelrys, San Diego, California, Software Support Scientist, 2001 - 2002
- Travel to customer sites to install MedChem Explorer software packages and provide customer support.
- Installation of software including Oracle databases, and interfacing these databases with scientific software across company networks.
- Handled daily calls and emails from scientists to support cheminformatics products.
- Installation included third party products such as MDL ISIS and Oracle on IRIX, Linux and Windows 2000 server platform.
GERS Retail Systems, San Diego, California, Software Developer, 1999 - 2001
- Development of Workflow standalone applications using Oracle SQL and PL/SQL as the program language.
- Administration of Windows NT servers that supported Oracle Application Server and Oracle Workflow software, as well as DBA tasks.
San Diego Super Computer Center, La Jolla, California, Oracle DBA/Developer Intern, 1999 - 1999
- Application programming in SQL and PL/SQL as and Oracle database administration tasks.
Metabasis Therapeutics, San Diego, California, Research Associate, 1995 - 1999
- Designed and synthesized novel organic compounds for testing as potential drugs, and entering and reviewing data in our ISIS database.
- Compounds were nucleosides and involved sugar and heterocyclic chemistry.
- Synthesized and assessed the pharmacological profile of 80 new compounds.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Registered Patent Agent, USPTO
- Java Certification, UCSD Extension
- Perl Certificate, SDCC
- Peer reviewed articles.
- Author of educational text.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA
- M.S. Chemistry, California State University, Fresno, CA
- B.S. Chemistry, University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA