- Evaluate products for feasibility of electron beam sterilization, including materials compatibility, dose distribution and process efficiency.
- Determine electron beam equipment requirements - power, energy and other.
- Estimate dose distributions and perform detailed studies of max/min ratios.
- Provide capital and operating cost estimates and prepare or review capital investment schedules and business plans.
- Prepare and evaluate equipment tender documents with potential suppliers.
- Provide facility design concepts supported by Monte Carlo based shielding analyses.
- Prepare licensing applications and make presentations to licensing bodies including defense of applications.
- Analyze staff requirements for operating a sterilization plant and provide radiation safety training.
- Irradiation advisement for a wide variety of foods, grains, plastics, waste streams, cellulosics, gemstones and other materials.
- Expert witness in U.S. trial related to medical accelerator injury claim.
- Specific areas of electron beam expertise include the following:
- Electron-beam sterilization.
- Food irradiation.
- Industrial sterilization.
- Ionizing radiation.
- Irradiation sterilization.
- Medical device irradiation sterilization.
- Sterilization engineering.
- Sterilization processing technology.
- Terminal sterilization.
Undisclosed Company, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Principal Partner, 1998 - Present
- Founding partner of an independent consulting firm.
- Advised major medical device manufacturers on the specification and supplier list for suitable electron beam equipment.
- Developed and patented a self shielded concept for production line electron beam sterilization.
Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 1969 - 1998
General Manager Accelerator Business Unit, Electron Beam Accelerator Marketing
- Made technical sales presentations to clients and potential clients for electron beam equipment.
- Prepared information for clients to use with national and state regulatory bodies.
- Prepared public relations literature and marketing brochures and presented talks to regional development organizations.
- Prepared competitive analyses of the various electron beam accelerators and with Et-O and Cobalt -60 alternatives.
- Prepared sales offers and detailed cost/ price analyses.
- Analyzed market potentials and competitor activities.
- Prepared a database of world industrial electron beam installations.
- Prepared marketing documentation including application notes, brochures and organized trade show activities.
- Established a user friendly specification for IMPELA 10 MeV 60 kW Electron Accelerator operator interface.
- Prepared detailed business models and proposals for multi-use radiation processing businesses in North America and U.K., the Irish Development Board and Welsh Development Authority.
- Provided seminars on electron beam for: The Parenteral Drug Association, General Foods, The King Abdul Azzis Science Center - Saudi Arabia and he Malaysian Ministry of Agriculture.
Product Manager, 1982 - 1985
- Directed the redesign and upgrade of the Theratron Cobalt Teletherapy product line and revised pricing and sales of Cobalt 60 teletherapy sources.
Manager Marketing Services, 1979 - 1982
- Supervised a team of four specialists providing technical support to sales covering electron accelerator and cobalt teletherapy, X-ray simulation of radiation treatment and computerized calculation of dose distributions.
- Represented the Company on ISO and AAMI standards committees.
Project Manager, 1972 - 1979
- Directed the design, and development and established the basis for manufacturing of the Therac 6 electron accelerator cancer teletherapy unit and lead the prototype clinical installation.
- This machine was the first to embody full computer monitoring and control of operation.
- 40 units went into service and in 2000, almost all were still in clinical use.
Various Projects: Conducted in United Kingdom and Canada, 1969 - 1972
- Developed small radioisotope powered electric power sources.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Registered Professional Engineer, Province of Ontario
- Peer reviewed articles and author of educational text
- Patents filed in United States and Canada
- MBA University of Ottawa, Canada
- B.A. Physics (with honors), Oxford University, United Kingdom