- Over twenty years of safety engineering working with chemical processing, pharmaceutical manufacturing, process industries, insurance and brokerage.
- CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) and dispersion modeling.
- Process risk, safety, health and environmental management including permitting and project management.
- Property and casualty insurance and governmental permitting requirements.
- Formulation of loss prevention program and assessment of risk.
- Design fire protection and alarm systems.
- Safety and regulatory compliance with liquefied natural gas (LNG).
- Lead quality (cGMP) review meetings.
- Design safety: PHA (Process Hazards Analysis), LOPA (Layers of Protection Analysis) and FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) leader.
- HVAC air flow software and fluid flow modeling.
Undisclosed Company, 2000 - Present
- Engineering consulting services that include: Expert witness, HVAC airflow evaluations, fire dynamics simulations research, training and industry building code research.
Jacobs Engineering, Pa, Senior Engineer Environmental Safety and Health, 2000 - Present
- Project Manager for process safety, environmental services and loss prevention.
- Client companies include, GSK, Wyeth, Eli Lilly, Amgen, Astra Zenica, U.S. Government, COP, Valero, Hess and British Petroleum.
- Securing of building permits such as; construction permits, air permits, (including Title V) water permits and handling insurance meetings, code official presentations and negotiated terms pertaining to design safety.
- Fire protection and alarm system designs.
- Implemented use of software technology such as; CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics), Dispersion Modeling and PHA (Process Hazards Analysis) utilized within HVAC and Process Departments for use in air flow and code analysis.
- Current CFD model activity averages over 100 models per year.
- Design safety, PHA and FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis), cGMP review leader for various companies.
SmithKline Beecham (GSK), King of Prussia, PA, Corporate Safety Engineer, 1999 - 2000
- Assist with development and implementation of occupational safety, process safety and loss prevention engineering programs and guidance at worldwide sites.
- Led an international project team in the development of corporate safety and process safety guidelines, including strategic planning and delivery of a process safety training program for the U.K. and U.S.
- Liaison with insurance professionals handling property loss prevention.
Arco Chemical, Newtown Square, PA, Principle Safety Engineer, 1997 - 1999
- Responsibility at this medium size petrochemical company consisted of management of corporate loss prevention program and risk analysis activities for domestic and European operations.
- Led a feasibility study to replace traditional all risk insurance with a captive.
- Liaison for insurance company professionals both property and casualty.
- Development of corporate engineering guidelines and technical procedures including a loss prevention guideline, a process/building hazard assessment procedure and an emergency isolation valve technical guideline.
- Finalize loss prevention specifications for two world-class construction projects.
- Cost savings of $5 million by implementing a risk-based approach to loss prevention on two major projects including a world scale chemical manufacturing facility in Rotterdam; $3 million via resolution of recommendations generated by external (Marsh & McLennan) and internal performance audits; and $2.8 million dollars via resolution of a major building issues at a manufacturing site.
CIGNA, Philadelphia, PA, Utility-Petrochemical Technical Manager, 1994 - 1997
- Corporate staff technical manager for CIGNA insurance company petroleum loss control program.
- Managed the core competency evaluation and product development for 26 utility-petroleum Loss Control Specialists and three Operations Managers located throughout the U.S.
- Obtained copyright of two computer programs (appraisal valuations and pump performance curves).
Sedgwick, Philadelphia, PA, Senior Fire Protection Specialist, 1990 - 1993
- Insurance brokerage risk management and account handling of loss prevention, safety and environmental engineering activities for 42 property accounts of various sizes, including LNP Engineering Plastics and Hercules.
- Development of environmental compliance surveys for ICI customers handling pesticides.
Industrial Risk Insurers, Philadelphia, PA, Chemical Loss Prevention Representative, 1988 - 1990
- Fire protection, safety engineering and loss prevention provided for large petrochemical facilities. Facilities included Rohm and Haas, Allied Signal, Star, Monsanto, Air Products and BF Goodrich.
- Conducted fire protection plan reviews, survey development and equipment testing.
Ashland Chemical Company, Easton, PA, Technician, 1987 - 1988
- Position included testing of various chemicals via wet and instrumental methods, including laser particle counting.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Director and keynote speaker Society of Fire Protection Engineering.
- Former Chair of a Center for Chemical Process Safety Task Force on Dispersion and Explosions.
- Keynote Speaker for Industrial Fire World.
- Member: American Institute of Chemical Engineers and Chemical Heritage Foundation (CHF).
- Top Hat Award, SFPE
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Professional Engineer (PE), PA License
- Associate Risk Management (ARM), Insurance Institute of America
- Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS), CFPS Certification Board
- Co-author of a Risk Management Book for cGMP and Quality.
- Speaker on the use of CFD Modeling for quality and fire protection engineering.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, PA