- Research and development and research management in polymeric materials systems, particularity polycarbonate polymers and plastic blends.
- Polymer manufacturing processes and application development and validation testing for thermoplastic and thermoset polymers.
- Intellectual property strategy and management related to polymer types, polymer manufacturing and polymer applications.
- Patent, trademark and portfolio analysis; license agreements; innovation techniques; strategic portfolio leveraging.
- Automotive research and development management in plastic interior and exterior trim.
- Management of product launch teams, innovation teams, acquisitions and assessments, launch of green field facilities.
- Nano-composite engineering in exfoliation and dispersion processes.
- Polymer application engineering in automotive, small appliances, major appliances, tools, sporting goods, medical equipment, aircraft, aircraft engine, construction, watercraft, large truck/bus, electrical/electronics, consumer products, engineered dunnage, lighting systems; numerous awards and commercially successful products.
- Polymer engineering in application development, formulation development, process design/development, compound development, reinforcements/fillers and nano-reinforcements.
- Innovative and skilled in team building and selection, research and development process optimization, applications development and in-house training and mentoring.
Undisclosed Company, President and Member, 1999 - Present
- Market development for a nano-composites firm.
- Core Molding Technologies in conjunction with another firm completing a high-volume production launch of new material for jet skis.
- Developed a process commercialization method for the advanced manufacturing process at National Composite Center with $1.8 million in funding provided by the state.
- In house instructor on Nano-Composite Boot Camps and Innovation Seminars.
- Facilitate a client's first innovation session.
- Application development and problem solving for clients by polymer material and manufacturing process selection and modification of existing materials or processes.
- Consulting in nano-composite polymer systems and new or improved products based on the unique properties derived from nano technology.
- Developed and demonstrated unique capabilities for both thermoplastics and thermoset resin systems.
- Products have won numerous national and international awards for clients and several patents are pending.
- New nano-sheet molding compounds (SMC) have been very successful.
- Served in long term projects as Technical Director, Research and Development Manager or Chief Technology Consultant helping clients to staff and train internal development capabilities.
Magna International, Inc., Aurora, Ontario, CA, Chief Technologist, 1995 - 1999
- Responsible for technology at seventy-nine production divisions in nine countries with several acquisitions made in Europe.
- Assessed their technology, brought in appropriate resources and helped to turn all of these profitable within 6-8 months.
- Several green field facilities were built and launched.
- Created a virtual Central Research and Development Group.
- Developed and commercialized new technologies that allowed firm to profitably grow current and new business awards by 300% in four years.
- Managed corporate patent portfolio.
- Taught innovation techniques internally and at key customers.
- Obtained $7.8 million in government funding for the development of nano-composite polymer systems and products.
- Filed twelve patent applications in the nano-composite area with eleven of those issued.
Textron Automotive Co., Dover, NH, Vice President of Technology, 1986 - 1995
- Led a technology and product validation organization that grew from 75 to 125 scientists, engineers and technicians.
- Technology organization obtained 250 new patents with 180 pending.
- Products, processes and materials developed won numerous international engineering awards and technologies were licensed to automotive suppliers in seven countries and two international materials suppliers.
- Built a Product Validation Center that generated a 35% ROS to offset development costs for our internal customer divisions.
General Electric Co., Mt. Vernon, IN & Louisville, KY, 1974 - 1986
Filling Various positions at the Corporate Plastics Applications Center;
- Process Development Specialist
- Product Development Specialist
- Project Manager
- Senior Project Manager
- Manager of Technology Applications
- Participated in plastic development growth from $3.6 million to $5.4 million in annual sales, supporting up to forty-seven different GE businesses.
- Significantly contributed to growth and profitability of these businesses.
- Earned thirty-two patents for materials systems and manufacturing processes.
- Youngest inductee into GE's Inventors Hall of Fame.
- GE Plastics (now SABIC) still sells over 600 million pounds per year of resins based upon the formulations and applications developed by this consultant or by consultant's team.
US Army, Construction Engineering Research Labs; Champaign, IL, 1973 - 1974
- As a materials scientist developed unique munitions packaging that can then be used for construction in the field.
- Developed foam in place buildings for support of troops and for disaster relief.
- Won three US Army Suggestion Program Awards.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Sr. Member Society of Plastics Engineers.
- Member of Business and Technology Advisory Board for ISIS International.
- Panelist for New Technology Assessments with Strategic Innovations International.
- American Product Excellence Award for Innovation process developed during employment with Textron.
- Society of Plastics Engineers Unique and Useful Industrial Product Award, for applications in thermoplastic composites in GE Aircraft Engines, saving 47 lb. of weight and $50,000 per engine.
- Won seven SPE Automotive Division Most Innovative New Materials or Process Awards.
- Top New Product of the Year Awards won through five magazines and two international engineering society awards.
- Winner of several top speaker awards.
- Inventor of forty-seven issued patents with several pending, eleven related to nano-composite developments.
- Author of a book on highly efficient new product development.
- Co-author of nano-composite market opportunities, a subscription study.
- Author of nano-composites a guide for profiting from this emerging technology.
- Author of 150 technical publications or presentations.
- Ph.D. Macromolecular Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Ohio University, Athens, OH
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Ohio University, Athens, OH