- High Power Microwave (HPM) directed energy weapons, fielding and IED defeat weapons.
- Unconventional Electronic Warfare (EW) techniques and implementations.
- National-level, integrated surveillance/sensor/communication network design.
- Radar systems, components, target identification discriminants and methods.
- Subsurface radar design, borehole navigation, formation analysis.
- HPM propagation, coupling, breakdown and non-linear effects.
- Target vulnerability assessment, prediction, measurement and mitigation.
- High voltage, high power and extreme-environment electronics.
- Electronic scanning antennas and control components.
- Emerging and disruptive new technologies identification, assessment and impact predictions.
- Design and synthesis of new electro-active materials, from DC energy storage to MMW control.
- Ultra-efficient solar cells; infrared energy harvesting methods and devices.
- Nanotechnology applications, lab and measurement techniques.
- National-level energy independence strategies, options and economics.
- New business development strategies, competition assessment and market economics.
- Short and long range technology planning and technology acquisition strategies.
Undisclosed Company, Founder and President, 1992 - Present
- Proposal technical lead, Canada's largest foreign vessel traffic control system win.
- Designed, built volume-production programming and Q/A certification machines for RFID tags.
- On the ground technology assessments in over 15 countries, many fields and clients.
- Built permanent high-tech business relationships in France, Germany, and Japan.
- Co-founded commercial U.S. electronic instrument firm and moved manufacturing to China.
- World marketing rep for major European and South African high-tech firms.
- Built Research and Develop Department for Oil & Gas Exploration borehole navigation client, resulting in 3 patents.
- Shepherded successful acquisition of neutron assay instrument maker for said client.
- Synthesized highest-efficiency solar/IR energy collection system ever made.
Martin Marietta/Lockheed-Martin ADTO, CA, Manager, Advanced Electronic Programs, 1989 - 1992
- Co-founded this new HQ Operation, with N. Augustine charter: "Build the DARPA of Martin."
- Initiated, managed radar, EW, MMW, HPM, energy storage, missile and other programs.
- Hired, trained staffs and signed up subcontractors for these programs.
- Designed, built lab and field test facilities for products; conducted many field tests and demonstrations.
- Designed and demonstrated first compact EMP-based, flyable weapon.
Alcoa Defense Systems, Rancho Bernardo, CA, Director, Advanced Electronic Projects, 1987 - 1989
- Initiated, managed development projects in ECM, LO, Counter-LO and HPM areas.
- Designed, built lab facilities, hired staffs and signed up subcontractors.
- Wrote HPM portion of the "Hardening Handbook" under US Navy sponsorship.
Intelcom Radiation Technology, Del Mar, CA, Program Manager, 1983 - 1987
- Built a successful microwave/MMW department, major lab and mobile facilities.
- Won numerous DoD contracts, built and tested portable EW and HPM systems.
- Built and demonstrated first HPM-based IED clearing system (Yuma PG, AZ).
Boeing Aerospace Company, Kent, WA, Chief Scientist/Principal Engineer, 1982 - 1983
- Senior technical direction for Boeing's largest MMW missile seeker program.
- Recruited internationally-recognized staff and consultants.
- Formed IP strategies, did competition assessments and supported marketing efforts.
General Dynamics Corporation, Pomona, CA, Program Manager, 1978 - 1982
- Initiated programs in MMW guidance, ship-defense radar, HPM, and electric guns.
- Built major lab facilities.
- Organized and held first US National HPM Conference (under U.S. DDR&E aegis).
Martin Marietta Corporation, Orlando, FL, Engineering Specialist, 1976 - 1978
- Helped build first MMW precision tank fire control radar, "STARTLE."
- Did lab proofs of first low-loss, analog, high power MMW scanning array antennas.
Lawrence Berkeley Lab, Berkeley, CA, Senior Electronics Engineer, 1974 - 1976
- Built MMW gas spectrometer; patented ultra-precise cavity tuning mechanism.
- Built picosecond pulse lasers and dye cells for molecular diagnostics.
Ball Aerospace Corporation, Boulder, CO, Senior Engineer, 1974
- Built and patented first conformal, dual-pol, dual-frequency micro strip GPS antenna.
- Built conformal radar antenna for High Altitude Supersonic Target (aircraft).
EG&G Corporation, Albuquerque, NM, Program Manager/ Senior Engineer, 1972 - 1974
- Designed, tested dispersed-pulse EMP simulator for Kirtland AFB outdoor range.
- Supported laser output window tests on first USAF Flying Laser Laboratory.
General Dynamics Electronics Corporation, San Diego, CA, Senior Engineer, 1968 - 1972
- Built and field-tested first U.S. polarization-adaptive, fully polarimetric radar.
- Invented and patented two new classes of field-controlled microwave dielectrics.
- Built electronic-scanned phased array antennas using said high power dielectrics.
- Served as NSF reviewer of Antarctic whistler-mode radar program.
McDonnell Aircraft Company, St. Louis, MO, 1966 - 1968
- First lab confirmation of damping and reflection laws for (plasma) ion-acoustic waves.
- Built whistler-mode, planetary ionosphere diagnostic radar.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Five years as SPIE Conference Chair.
- IEEE-sponsored Lecturer, China (electronic materials, vessel traffic systems, antennas)
Member, Division Research Advisory Council
- Co-chaired and organized first all-Army HPM conference (with SAIC).
- Member, MIT's Electromagnetics Academy; Senior Life Member, IEEE.
- Organized and served on Numerous U.S. Government Panels and Technical Committees.
- Graduate Studies, Clinical Psychology, U.C. Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- Graduate Studies, Plasma Physics, Washington U., St. Louis, MO
- FCC General Radiotelephone (w/radar) License.
- Chevron-Texaco Rig Safety Course Certified.
- License: FCC General Radiotelephone with radar (Commercial); FCC Amateur Radio
- Over 40 published papers: Basic research in wave propagation in plasmas, MMW spectroscopy and phased arrays, subsurface navigation and communication to industrial process monitoring instruments.
- Fourteen reviewed journal and conference papers.
- Six U.S. patents.
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Ohio State U., Columbus, OH
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH