- Twenty-nine years of experience in the development, manufacturing and quality control of consumer aerosol products.
- Aerosol technology: Expertise in aerosol technology, propellant systems, aerosol packaging (valves and containers), aerosol quality programs.
- Aerosol formulations and reducing VOC components.
- Aerosol packaging: Cans, containers and valve systems.
- Problem Solving: Extensive experience in technical troubleshooting issues in product development, quality systems, aerosol manufacturing and aerosol systems.
- Training: Develop and deliver customized on-site seminars in aerosol technology, spray performance optimization, aerosol safety training, and, aerosol product quality assurance systems.
- New technology development: Extensive experience in the hands-on design, development, and introduction of aerosol products from laboratory through commercialization. Innovated new aerosol technology in several areas.
- Aerosol manufacturing: Assist marketers of aerosol products with identifying suitable packagers, develop product specific aerosol QA systems, and conduct aerosol safety audits.
- Contract filler sourcing and management.
- Handling and reducing consumer complaints.
- Designing and upgrading aerosol product quality systems.
Undisclosed Company, Owner/Manager, Aerosol Products Consultant, 2001 - Present
- Provide technical consulting services relating to all aspects of aerosol technology, aerosol product quality assurance and manufacturing.
- Projects include: Assisting in aerosol research and development projects, troubleshooting issues in product quality, reducing customer complaints, formulating reduced VOC products, and optimizing aerosol spray performance, among many others.
- Design and present customized on-site technical training programs in aerosol technology, aerosol product development, and aerosol quality assurance.
Summit Packaging Systems, Manchester, NH, Technical Manager, 1999 - 2001
- Responsible for customer technical support and aerosol development programs.
- Provide Marketers and Fillers with suitable valve systems to meet their needs for new and existing products.
- Visit customer locations to diagnose technical issues and provide technical support for customer driven development programs.
American Home Foods/International Home Foods, Milton, Pa., 1991 - 1999
- Direct responsibility for the technical support and product development functions for Private Label, Food Service, PAM, Polaner and Guldens Mustard product lines.
- Responsible for the innovation and development of new aerosol products, canned pasta, condiments and snacks.
- Served as the primary Technical Sales Representative for Private Label New Business accounts managing a staff of 7 professionals.
Section Head / Food Enhancements
- Built a state of the art aerosol research lab and hired professionals in aerosol technology for aerosol product development. Brand responsibility included PAM Cooking Sprays.
- Invented and developed a novel aerosol technology to exceed national VOC regulatory requirements for aerosol cooking sprays. Patent application was filed.
Bristol-Myers/Clairol Division, Stamford, CT, 1988 - 1991
- Responsible for the development of novel products for Clairol's consumer and professional haircare product lines.
- Brand responsibility included: Final Net, ClairMist, Logics and Condition.
- Identified and developed new resin technology for use in low/no VOC "next-generation" water based fixative products. Awarded U.S. patent.
- Developed the following product introductions: "Final Net Ultimate Hold and Spritz," containing a novel resin/neutralization system and "Clairmist" aerosol line (six SKU's).
- Responsible for the management of the aerosol filling laboratory.
Chesebrough-Ponds/Unilever Corp., Trumbull, CT, Senior Research Chemist, 1986 - 1988
- Developed new aerosol and liquid products for the Spectracide, Rid-A-Bug and Hot Shot insecticide lines.
- Designed and implemented development programs to evaluate new active ingredients.
- Provided technical support to contract packagers for the Division.
- Supervised start-ups for all formula changes and new products. Trained technicians and chemists in aerosol technology. Managed a staff of three.
Summit Packaging Systems, Technical Sales Representative, Manchester, NH, 1985 - 1986
- Development of aerosol valve systems.
- Product categories included: Insecticides, air fresheners, lubricants, polishes, AP's, deodorants, and colognes.
- Responsible for technical sales presentations and trouble-shooting production start-ups at: Noxell, Boyle-Midway, Faberge, Lehn & Fink, Carter-Wallace and other primary accounts.
- Assisted sales reps in developing new business opportunities.
- Designed a new total release fogger actuator and worked closely with Summit's sales force to secure order commitments.
American Home Products Corp., Boyle-Midway Division, Cranford, NJ, 1978 - 1985
Product Development Supervisor
- Primary responsibilities to design and implement product development programs which culminated in novel aerosol insecticide products for the Black Flag product line.
- Conducted on-site trouble-shooting at all aerosol production locations, coordinated testing for claims support as required by the EPA and media networks.
- Trained junior personnel in aerosol technology. Managed four scientists and technicians.
- Awarded Canadian Patent "Low Odor Pesticide".
- Responsible for the bench development of aerosol and non-aerosol formulations.
- Developed protocols for product efficacy testing and product stability testing.
- Developed manufacturing directives for various aerosol, liquid and powder products.
- Extensively trained in the formulating of aerosols and emulsions.
- Designed o/w and w/o products with hydrocarbon and Dymel™ propellant systems.
- Routine production line maintenance functions such as monitoring stability packs, evaluation of new/alternative raw materials and implementing cost saving programs.
Pilot Laboratory Operator
- Responsible for the set-up and batching of products for stability or market testing.
- Products included: Air-freshness, food coatings, insecticides, oven cleaners, floor-waxes and lubricating oils.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- PLMA - Private Label Manufacturers Association
- CSPA - Consumer Specialty Products Association
- IFT - Institute of Food Technologists
- SCC - Society of Cosmetic Chemists
Professional Advancement Courses
- Aerosol Technology
- Aerosol Emulsion Technology
- Food Science
- Suspensions and Emulsions
- DuPont DYMEL™ Propellants
- Technology of Cosmetic Raw Materials
Author of articles with the following topics:
- Controlling Particle Size in Self-Pressurized Aerosol Packages
- Particle Size Control in Aerosol Packages
- Aerosol Anatomy - The Aerosol Laboratory (part 1 and 2)
- Aerosol Anatomy - Product Litigation (part 1 and 2)
- Aerosol Anatomy - Stem Gaskets
- B.S. Degree, Biology, Rutgers University, NJ,
- A.A. Degree, Environmental Sciences, Union College, Cranford, NJ