- Oral solid dosage form formulation and process development.
- Drug delivery technology for controlled release dosage forms (osmotic, matrix and multiparticulates) and enhancing the oral bioavailability of poorly soluble compounds.
- Controlled release and sustained release drug dosage forms.
- Spray dried and hot melt extruded dispersions.
- Development and application of drug delivery technology.
- Extensive experience in formulation and process development for controlled and sustained release formulations and poorly soluble compounds for oral delivery.
- Osmotic systems, multiparticulates, and amorphous solid dispersions proficiency.
Undisclosed Company, Managing Partner, 2007 - Present
- Drug formulation, process development and CRO and CMO management for over 60 pharmaceutical companies and expert witness work.
- Project areas encompass NCE development, product enhancement, fixed dose combinations.
- Experienced in formulation development and scale-up, transfer and troubleshooting. Specific technology expertise in oral controlled release technologies (osmotic, matrix, multiparticulates) and amorphous solid dispersions.
Bend Research, Bend, OR, Director, Controlled Release, 1996 - 2006
- Responsible for formulation, process development and technology transfer for a wide range of drug delivery technologies including oral osmotics and multiparticulates.
- Led team to commercialize Zmax® sustained release microsphere product with Pfizer.
- Extensive experience in formulation and process development of hot melt and spray dried dispersion-based and immediate release (IR) and controlled release (CR) dosage forms.
Sarcos Research Corporation, Salt Lake City, UT, Project Leader, 1995 - 1996
- Responsible for project planning management and development of electro-mechanical topical drug-delivery system.
INTERx Research Corporation/Merck & Co., Lawrence, KS, 1988 - 1995
Research Fellow and Sr. Research Chemist
- Developed aqueous-based coatings for oral osmotics.
- Responsible for design and evaluation of erodible injectable systems for bone-growth promotion.
- Led electromechanical drug-delivery effort.
Honors & Publications
- Dissertation: Characterization of a Self-Regulating Insulin Delivery System
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS)
- Advisor for the Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Publications and Patents
- Author - Co-Author of publications in peer reviewed medical and pharmaceuticals journals (including presentations).
- Over 40 patents (including patent applications)
- Ph.D. Pharmaceutics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of California,Los Angeles, CA