- Technology and manufacture of polystyrene foamed products, "Styrofoamm," as marketed by Dow Chemical.
- Technical liaison in the field of polymer engineering, science and cellular plastics.
- Blowing agent technology.
- Thermoplastic foam technology.
- Leader in the field of polymer engineering, science and cellular foamed plastics, eliminating bottlenecks, allowing improvement efficiency in process, creating new values through product and technology development and application opportunities.
- Develop a high rate static extruded polystyrene "Styrofoam" process for the residential sheathing market.
- Design computer simulation model, finding production trends, adjusting parameters and identifying and eliminating bottlenecks in the process, thereby increasing output.
- Develop blowing agent alternatives to CFC12 for extruded polystyrene "Styrofoam" allowing 94% reduction in ODP.
- Rheology of foaming.
Independent Consultant, 2002 - Present
The Dow Chemical Company, Midland, MI, 1965 - 2002
- Fabricated Products, Senior Research Scientist
- Responsible for developing new products and technologies for new applications for fabricated products.
- Expert for cellular plastics, thermoplastic foams and polystyrene foams. such as "Styrofoam."
- Supported other businesses within Dow in relation to plastic foams.
Research Manager, "Styrofoam" Research
- Responsible for maintaining and growing the "Styrofoam" business, exploring new technologies, and managing a pilot plant.
- Responsible for fifty professional personnel.
Group Leader, Exploratory Research
- Responsible for exploring new products, technologies and research, managing eight direct reports.
Plastics Fundamental Research Laboratory
- Senior Research Engineer: Responsible for development of computer model simulation for plastics businesses, high impact polystyrene process, polystyrene foam sheet process, and process to manufacture "Styrofoam."
- Research Engineer: Responsible for developing computer model for different businesses covering many manufacturing processes.
- Chemical Engineer: Fundamental research and study of the solubility and thermodynamics of Dow materials and polymers.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor of Chemical Engineering and Material Science Department
- Advisory Board Member - The Journal of Thermal Insulation
- Advisory Board Member - Center of Excellence in Polymer ~Science and Engineering
- Advisory Board Member - Chemical Engineering Department
- Advisory Board Member - Technical Committee of Edison Polymer Innovation
- Dow Inventor of the Year Award
- Dow Technology Center Awards (three)
- Research and Development 100 Award
- SPE, ACS and Polymer Division, AIChE, and Sigma Xi
- Languages: Korean - Fluent; German - Text; Japanese - Text
- Author of text books and publications.
- Presentations Subjects: Floating Permeable Blankets, Structural Analysis, Thermoplastic Foam Processing with Supercritical Blowing Agents, and Critical Issues in Thermoplastic Foams.
- 57 U.S. Patents
- 2 U.K. Patents
- 2 Canadian Patents
- 2 European Patents
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA