- 40 years experience in the design and operation of petroleum refineries and petrochemical plants.
- Design, construction and operation of petroleum refining, petrochemical and fine chemicals manufacturing plants and processes.
- Expert witness related to chemical and petrolatum plant design, contract negotiation, support related to vendor charges, second opinions, fault analysis and good applying engineering practices related to process designs.
- Past worldwide engineering services to major petroleum firms.
- Provide front-end engineering and design including developing process flow diagrams, P&IDs, heat and material balances and to analyze difficult chemical processing issues.
- Assist in purchasing major equipment and services.
- Process simulation experience using Design II Winsim (Chemshare), Simsci's Process, Aspen, HYSYS and HYSIM.
- Process simulations experience: Petroleum refining - crude distillation, vacuum distillation, reforming, hydrotreating, lube oil fractionation; Ethylene; feed preparation, quench, recovery and concentration; Fine chemicals - mercaptan, formaldehyde, dimethyl ether, chlorinated solvents, ethers, esters; Reforming processes - hydrogen, ammonia; Ethanol dehydration using azeotropic distillation; evaporation, molecular sieve; Gas processing - turbo-expander, JT, dehydration, compression, distillation.
- Prepared and certified air emissions inventory, wastewater permit applications and represented clients with EPA and state regulatory agencies.
- Familiar with regulations pertaining to processing, storage and transportation of toxic chemicals.
- Provided expert testimony and litigation support in cases involving petrochemical processing.
Undisclosed Company, Consultant/Engineering Manager/Owner, 1980 - Present
- Chemical engineering service to 70 large U.S. and foreign chemical plants and oil refiners.
- Awarded a U.S. patent for the process to refine LPG for use as an aerosol propellant.
- Engineered a complete plant to produce aerosol propellant in Shanghai, China.
- Expert Witness: Ethanol plants arbitration; glycol evaporation system technology.
- Process development and design to manufacture tertiary methyl ammonium chloride.
- Process design, process simulation and detailed design for small fuel ethanol plant.
- Gas flow assurance study for a major oil company's 34 natural gas producing wells including hydraulic study with Schlumberger's PIPESIM software.
- Process simulation of a turbo-expander system to recover liquids from natural gas.
- Process simulation of liquid feed to ethylene furnaces.
- Process study and process simulation to remove BTX from refinery stream.
- Process design of gas plant.
- Mechanical design of sulfuric acid system.
- Using PIPEPHASE developed a hydraulic analysis of 24 wells in equatorial Guinea.
- Detailed design of a de-propanizer system to recover propane from LPG in Ivory Coast.
- Process simulation of amine plant for a gas plant.
- Formaldehyde plant modifications.
- Hydrogen plant simulation.
- Process simulation and vent header study with v-l-e data regression.
- Process study of a methyl mercaptan plant.
- Complete aerosol propellant plant design: Process design, mechanical design, equipment selection, purchasing and preparation for export of equipment.
- Process study of a lube oil fractionating system.
- Process design of a dimethyl ether plant.
- Process design and engineering at a mercaptan plant.
- Heat exchanger trouble shooting for a cryogenic plant.
Mt. Airy Refining Co., Mt. Airy, LA, Plant Engineering Manager, 1977 - 1979
- Manage small refinery's engineering needs: retain consultants, perform engineering on small modifications, environmental compliance - air water with State and Federal Regulatory agencies.
- Expansion studies, installation of new equipment.
Sid Richardson Carbon Company, Addis, LA, Process Development Engineer, 1975 - 1977
- Improve product quality and reduce manufacturing costs.
- Research on adiabatic flame temperatures.
Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corp., Gramercy, LA, Process Engineer, 1974 - 1975
Guyana Bauxite Co., Linden, Guyana, South America, Process Engineer, 1973 - 1974
Suralco (ALCOA), Paranam, Surinam, South America, Process engineer, 1971 - 1973
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Professional Engineer Texas
- Chartered Engineer U. K.
- Languages: Spanish and Dutch
Publications and Patents
- One U.S. Patent.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of the West Indies, Trinidad
- Ch. E. Chemical Engineering, University of the West Indies, Trinidad