- Petroleum plant and refiners design and operations in petrochemical and fine chemicals manufacturing plants and processes.
- Front-end engineering and design including process flow diagrams, P&IDs, heat and material balances and to analyze difficult chemical processing issues.
- Process simulation using Design II Winsim (Chemshare), Simsci's Process, Aspen, HYSYS and HYSIM.
- Process simulations experience: Petroleum refining - crude distillation, vacuum distillation, reforming, hydrotreating, lube oil fractionation; Ethylene ; feed preparation, quench, recovery and concentration; Fine chemicals - mercaptan, formaldehyde, dimethyl ether, chlorinated solvents, ethers, esters; Reforming processes - hydrogen, ammonia; Ethanol dehydration using azeotropic distillation; evaporation, molecular sieve; Gas processing - turbo-expander, JT, dehydration, compression, distillation.
- Prepare and certify air emissions inventory, wastewater permit applications and represent clients with EPA and state regulatory agencies.
- Manage entire engineering for project plants under $10 million; project change orders and negotiate overruns, (with a recent plant completion for producing ethanol).
- Develop process models of a variety of chemical processes by obtaining vapor-liquid-equilibrium data and then developing the thermodynamic information for predicting separation.
- Regulations pertaining to processing, storage and transportation of toxic chemicals.
Expert Witness Experience
Testimony and litigation support in cases involving petrochemical processing: Chemical and petrolatum plant design, contract negotiation, support related to vendor charges, second opinions, fault analysis and applying good engineering practices related to process designs.
- Refinery and Chemicals Tax Recovery.
- Industrial Accident.
- Bioethanol Plant Study.
- Intellectual property and chemical manufacturing.
- Oil and Gas Upstream Plant Analysis.
- Amine Unit Study.
- CO2 Cryo process plant revamp from ammonia plant.
- Process Analysis of Yeast Processing.
- New Methane plant design.
- Process study of a lube oil fractionating system.
- Engineering at plant manufacturing chloromethane, vinyl chloride, ethylene dichloride.
Undisclosed Company, Consultant-Engineering Manager and Owner, 1980 - Present
- Chemical engineering service to 70 large U.S. and foreign chemical plants and oil refiners.
- Awarded a U.S. patent for the process to refine LPG for use as an aerosol propellant.
- Engineered a complete plant to produce aerosol propellant in Shanghai, China.
- Expert Witness: Ethanol plants arbitration; glycol evaporation system technology.
- Process development and design to manufacture tertiary methyl ammonium chloride.
- Process design, process simulation and detailed design for small fuel ethanol plant.
- Gas flow assurance study for a major oil company's 34 natural gas producing wells including hydraulic study with Schlumberger's PIPESIM software.
- Process simulation of a turbo-expander system to recover liquids from natural gas.
- Process simulation of liquid feed to ethylene furnaces.
- Process study and process simulation to remove BTX from refinery stream.
- Process design of gas plant.
- Mechanical design of sulfuric acid system.
- Using PIPEPHASE developed a hydraulic analysis of 24 wells in equatorial Guinea.
- Detailed design of a de-propanizer system to recover propane from LPG in Ivory Coast
- Process simulation of amine plant for a gas plant.
- Formaldehyde plant modifications.
- Hydrogen plant simulation.
- Process simulation and vent header study with v-l-e data regression.
- Process study of a methyl mercaptan plant.
- Complete aerosol propellant plant design: Process design, mechanical design, equipment selection, purchasing and preparation for export of equipment.
- Process study of a lube oil fractionating system.
- Process design of a dimethyl ether plant.
- Process design and engineering at a mercaptan plant.
- Heat exchanger trouble shooting for a cryogenic plant.
Mt. Airy Refining Co., Mt. Airy, LA, Plant Engineering Manager, 1977 - 1979
- Manage small refinery's engineering needs: retain consultants, perform engineering on small modifications, environmental compliance - air water with State and Federal Regulatory agencies.
- Expansion studies, installation of new equipment.
Sid Richardson Carbon Company Addis, LA, Process Development Engineer, 1975 - 1977
- Improve product quality and reduce manufacturing costs.
- Research on adiabatic flame temperatures.
Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corp., Gramercy, LA, Process Engineer, 1974 - 1975
Guyana Bauxite Co., Linden, Guyana, South America, Process Engineer, 1973 - 1974
Suralco (ALCOA), Paranam, Surinam, South America, Process Engineer, 1971 - 1973
Honors & Publications
- Professional Engineer Texas
- Chartered Engineer U. K.
- Alkyl Benzyl Sulfonates
- Butyl Alcohol
- Carbon Black
- Carbon Tetrachloride
- Carbonyl Sulfide
- Dimethyl Ether
- Diethyl Ether
- Epoxy Resins
- Ethanol, gasohol, neutral spirits, brandy
- Nitric Acid
- Vinyl Acetate
- Gas Processing: Turbo expander, JT, Amine Treating, De Hy, Mol. Sieves
- Petroleum Refining:: Crude /Vacuum Distillation, Reforming, Hydro-treating, FCCU, TGTU
- Petrochemicals: Ethylene, Propylene Ethanol (Gasohol), Formaldehyde, De Hy. Sulfide, Methyl Mercaptan, Ethyl Mercaptan, DMS, Caustic Chlorine
- Other Processes: Hydrogen, Carbon Black, and Alumina. Electronic Chemicals & Etchants, Mixing and blending of high purity chemicals.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- U. S. Patent: Refining petroleum - reducing odor, moisture, and side reactions.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of the West Indies, Trinidad
- Ch. E. Chemical Engineering, University of the West Indies, Trinidad