- Aircraft sound and vibration, flow control for aircraft applications and aeroacoustics.
- Reduction of flow induced sound and vibration for aircraft applications.
- Fluid dynamics, supersonic jets, high speed jet flows, acoustics, aeroacoustics, noise reduction, unsteady flow, flow mixing, flow control, valve noise and vibration and vibration in pipe structures.
- Noise and vibration control and root cause analysis.
- A Fellow of ASME, the Royal Aeronautical Society (UK) and an Associate Fellow of AIAA.
Undisclosed University, 1999 - Present
- Associate Professor and Associate Dean for Research, Fluid Dynamics Research Center, Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering.
- Associate Chair, Aerospace Engineering.
- Associate Dean for Research, Graduate College.
Dynacs Inc., Propulsion, Analysis Sections, Senior Research Engineer, 1999
- Performed contract research for NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland.
- Conducted research on noise suppression technology for the high speed civil transport.
- Collaborated with Boeing to perform research on high frequency piezoelectric actuators for the suppression of resonant acoustics.
NYMA Inc., Experimental Fluid Dynamics Section, Senior Research Engineer, 1994 - 1998
- Involved in the study of supersonic jet screech and resonant acoustics for NASA Glenn Research Center.
- Collaborated with the US Air Force and McDonnell Douglas Corporation on the Jet Screech Management Effort.
- Collaborated with the US Navy (Naval Research Labs) on supersonic jet mixing.
- Collaborated with Bowles Fluidics to devise methods for the suppression of resonant acoustics using fluidic actuators.
Sverdrup Technology Inc., Experimental Fluid Dynamics Section, Research Engineer, 1986 - 1993
- Involved in the design of a versatile supersonic jet facility.
- Conducted fundamental experimental investigations of the acoustics, fluid flow physics of supersonic jets and turbulent shear layers.
- Developed automated data acquisition and analysis systems.
Other areas of work performed
- Boeing 747 sound and vibration root cause analysis study.
- Analysis of valve failure due to vibrations and new design of a low vibration valve.
- Sound and vibration analysis in piping systems.
- Plasma screen for acoustic suppression.
- High amplitude actuator development.
- Support of tests in the Boeing PSWT wind tunnel.
- Support of tests in the Boeing QAF jet facility at Seattle.
- Fluidic actuator development for Advanced Fluidics.
- Support of tests in the ARA facility, UK.
- Support of tests in the Arnold Air Force Base 4T tunnel.
- Support provided to high speed sled test at the Holloman Air Force Base.
- Consulting support provided to valve companies.
- Noise reduction work done for valve companies.
- Jet noise tests at NASA Glenn Research Center.
- Flow control work done in CW-17 at NASA Glenn Research Center.
- Measurements of compressor and turbine performance maps.
- Rotating stall and surge testing in axial and radial compressors.
- Diagnostics of engine unstable operation.
- Bird and foreign objects impact and engine fire extinguishing tests.
- Laser velocimeter measurements in supersonic through flow fans.
- Nonstationary pressure measurements in compressor cascades for flutter prediction.
- Dynamic pressure measurements over a single stage fan rotor.
- Laser velocimeter investigation of a static propeller flowfield.
- Liquid-crystal thermography for heat flux measurements on turbine-blade models.
- Thin-film thermocouple development for turbine blade heat transfer measurements.
- Pressure sensitive paint investigation of fan stator vane pressure fields.
- Hot-wire anemometry and laser velocimetry in supersonic and complex turbulent flows.
- Mixing enhancement of hot, turbulent, free jets.
- Coherent turbulent structures in supersonic free jets.
- Aeroacoustics of jet engine hot exit plumes.
- Support of seeding tests at ASE.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society
- Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Aeroacoustics
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Flow Control
- Former Chairman of the Fluid Mechanics Technical Committee of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Chairman of the Aeroacoustics Technical Committee of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Vice-Chairman of the Fluid Mechanics Technical Committee of the ASME
- Vice-Chairman/Recording Secretary of the Aeroacoustics Technical Committee of the AIAA
- Chairman of the External Flows Sub-committee of the Fluid Mechanics Technical Committee of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Awards and Honors
- ASME Lewis F. Moody award representing a significant contribution to mechanical engineering.
- NASA certificate of recognition for the creative development of a technical innovation.
- NYMA/SETAR company best paper for NASA Glenn Research Center, Journal of Fluid Mechanics.
- NYMA/SETAR company best paper, Journal of Fluid Mechanics.
Publications and Patents
- Over 100 scientific publications.
- One U.S. and International patent.
- Ph.D. Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH