- Polymer science and fiber engineering with broad expertise in many phases of fiber production technology.
- Melt spinning fundamentals, fiber morphology, structure-property relationships.
- Fiber engineering, cross-section technology expert, spinneret design and bulking jet design.
- Pigmented fiber spinning fundamentals.
- Polymer engineering and polymer blends.
- Fiber surface characteristics; ink jet printing.
- Yarn processing technology: Dyeing, heat setting, twisting and air-entangling.
- Nylon fiber waste recycling.
Undisclosed Company, President, 2003 - Present
- Independent Consultant servicing the carpet industry and major fiber producers.
DuPont Corporation,1970 - 2003
Research Fellow, Georgia Carpet Technology Center, 1998 - 2003
- Led Commercial Flooring new product/process development effort.
- Innovative process/product design that resulted in several million dollars of new business.
- Developed 4 yarn systems tailored for ink jet printing.
- Provided technical support to nylon wastes recycling effort.
- Introduced a family of patented metallic luster Antron ® Lumena® at 2001 NeoCon.
- Pioneered the use of Roto/Air Twist technology for styling development.
- Invented a high dye yield cross-section that reduces pigment consumption by 35%.
- Led fiber macro-structure research team applied fiber engineering and spinning fundamentals to research and development projects and production.
Fiber Engineering Technology Center, Chattanooga, Tennessee, Senior Research Associate, 1995 - 1998
- Responsible for Commercial Flooring new technology development.
- Worked with DuPont Corporate research teams to enhance existing products/processes and develop new products to increase sales.
- Led Antron® renewal effort.
- Provided technical support to all fiber production sites.
- Led fiber cross section research team.
- Developed numerous new products/processes including:
- Family of enhanced dyeability Antron® Legacy Bravo product line.
- Antron® Legacy tailored for continuous dye equipment.
- Patented metallic luster Antron® Legacy fiber.
- New yarn systems tailored for printing.
- Invented 6-hole hollow filament high performance wool-like luster cross-section for Antron®.
Technical Division Seaford Nylon Plant, Seaford, Delaware, Research Engineer/Senior Research Associate, 1970 - 1995
- Worked in all areas of fiber technology in this spinning production facility.
- Applied in-depth knowledge of mechanical design as well as fiber engineering and spinning fundamentals to research and development projects and productions.
- Led the Polymer Modification Team from a total of eight years.
- Considered cross-section technology expert and corporate subject matter expert for pigmented fiber research, bulking jet, air entangling technology, spinneret design, polyamide and polypropylene melt spinning fundamentals.
- Directly involved in the development of Antron® Legacy, Antron® Lumena® and anti-static fibers.
- Directly responsible for, or contributed to the granting of 16 U.S. patents covering:
- Anti-static fiber.
- Polymer modification.
- Pigment dispersion.
- Yarn twisting.
- Bulking Jet.
- Fiber spinning process.
- Hollow filament cross-sections.
- Anti-stain nylon fiber.
Honors & Publications
- 22 U.S. Patents
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineer, Material Science, Washington University, St. Louis, MI
- M.S. Chemical Engineer, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- B.S. Chemical Engineer, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan