- Chemical process design, engineering, and troubleshooting of organic and inorganic processing plants primarily in the pharmaceutical and fine chemical industries.
- Directing process engineering project teams for the preparation of process evaluations, cost studies, preliminary and detailed design, PFD's, P&ID's, heat and material balances, equipment design and equipment specification.
Specific experience includes:
- Process design and simulation.
- Heat and material balances (HMB).
- Process development, process troubleshooting.
- Equipment scale-up.
- Hydraulics, distillation, plant utilities.
- Vaccine compounding / formulation.
- Vial filling Lines.
- Water for Injection (WFI) systems.
- Clean in Place (CIP), Sterilize in Place (SIP), Steam in Place.
Independent Consultant, 2009 - Present
- Roche Molecular Systems: Installation of clean steam generator and verification and commissioning of a bulk solvent weighing and dispensing system.
Fluor Enterprises, Principal Process Engineer, Mt. Laurel, NJ, 2001 - 2009
- Bristol-Meyers Squibb: Detailed design weighing and sampling area.
- Roche Molecular Systems, Utility Design Guide: Authored the BMS design standard for facility utility systems covering new facilities and facility expansion, including selection of utility system configurations and equipment.
- Bristol-Meyers Squibb: Preparation of P&IDs, equipment specifications, conceptual design study to transfer manufacture of sterile and non sterile steroid and non-lactam products. Pharmaceutical facility was designed to produce sterile potent compound products and included barrier isolation technology and containment.
- DSM Nutritional Products: For a $23 million project, supervised process engineer, basic engineering design (BED) and detailed design of the expansion of a fermentation house and design of a down stream process (DSP). Work included reactivation of idle fermenter producing biomass with an intracellular product; design of fermenter raw material systems; phosphoric acid truck unloading / storage; caustic distribution; and growth media (dextrose) rail car unloading / storage / sterilization.
- Roche Molecular Systems: For polymerase chain reaction (PCR) manufacturing center, conducted engineering studies to investigate problems and deficiencies observed in high purity water (PCRW) production, product storage and CIP. Developed hydraulic models analyzing systems and proposed modifications to pumps, valves, orifices and conducted tests demonstrating results achieved.
- Merck: Prepared preliminary design, PFDs, and P&IDs for a confidential vaccine process facility.
- Wyeth: At vaccines manufacturing facility (B211 vaccine ) lead process engineer upgrade utilities for upgrading water pretreatment system to meet USP (Pharmacopoeia) standards for purified water.
Raytheon Engineers & Constructors, Supervising Process Engineer, Philadelphia, PA, 1974 - 2001
- Tetrionics: For batch organic synthesis process, designed a multipurpose, multiproduct kilo-lab facility producing analog and derivatives of vitamin D.
- Department of Defense: Prepared material and energy balances, unsteady state heat transfer, and residence time studies for thermal oxidizers in support of trial burn plans for destruction of chemical agents. Related to requirements for environmental permits submission to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Canadian Red Cross, Blood Plasma Fractionation: Prepared engineering process design for a human blood plasma fractionation plant.
- Sandoz: For a bulk pharmaceutical facility, lead process engineer supervising CADD designers in preparing a fully integrated (multi-discipline) 3D CADD design of facility expansion. Unit operations included purification of bulk pharmaceuticals, physical separations, crystallization, column chromatography, solids drying, milling, blending, handling and solvent recovery and testing specifications of various DCS programming modules.
- Mobil Chemical: Lead process engineer designing batch organic process producing calcium phenate. Technical work included developing detailed heat and material balances, P&ID's, equipment specifications, handling hazardous chemicals and project appropriation estimate.
- ARCO Chemical: Lead process engineer designed organic process for hazardous chemicals, including ethylene oxide to produce polyols and polymer polyols.
- Organic Chemicals: Chemical engineering to design process for an organic chemical plant to produce propylene glycols. Work included design of process flow, process flow diagrams, P&ID's and equipment specifications in the product recovery areas.
- ICI Americas: Lead process engineer for an organic/polymer plant design including batch monomer dissolution and polymerization steps, continuous solvent/product recovery including vacuum thin film evaporation and high temperature (600%uFFFF F) heat transfer fluid used for temperature control of the jacketed equipment and piping.
- American Cyanamid Company: As lead process engineer, designed a catalytic acrylamide monomer plant utilizing a vacuum thin film evaporator removing unreacted volatiles from a viscous organic; work included a boiler conversion, process waste treatment facilities and ammonia pipeline pumping station.
- PECO Energy: For flue gas desulfurization, lead process engineer for process development, engineering and design of a regenerative magnesium oxide flue gas desulfurization system.
- Tennessee Valley Authority: For flue gas desulfurization, conducted engineering and design of a limestone, forced oxidation, flue gas desulfurization system for TVA's Cumberland Station Units 1 & 2. Work include system design, P&ID's and equipment specifications for systems supporting the SO2 absorbers.
Honors & Publications
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Grove City College, Grove City, PA