- Personalize medicine consultant which determines personal genetic risk markers with predisposition to disease.
- Use of genomics, DNA sequencing and genotyping to identify the molecular bases of disease and characterizing subclassifications.
- Expert in the use of genomic technology including microarray expression profiling, sequencing, and SNP analysis on the platforms developed by Illumina, Affymetrix, Helicos and Pacific Biosciences.
- Embedded in the personalized medicine revolution including a founding role of a medical facility providing DNA testing revealing predisposition health conditions.
- Expert in disease research within the areas of neurogenomics, neurological disease, cancer, drug development, diagnostic development and translational genomics.
- Disease specific knowledge of autism, exercise-induced , Ph.D., M.D.heart attacks and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDDS), schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, Parkinson's, ALS (Lou Gehrig) and Alzheimer's disease.
Undisclosed Company, Founder and CSO, 2006 - Present
- A diagnostics company which determines personal genetic risk markers which genetically predispose to disease.
- Founded the company, developed the technical and product concepts and succeeded in procuring venture funding.
Undisclosed Company, Founder and Director, 2007 - 2009
- A biopharmaceutical company focused on treatments for nervous system diseases including neurodegenerative diseases, impaired cognitive functions and mood disorders.
- Founded the company based on discoveries within his research program at Translational Genomics Research Institute.
- Successfully procure funding and began acquisition of drug use licenses.
Undisclosed Company, Founder and Director, 2008 - Present
- A diagnostics company which evaluates individual cancer samples, determining unique genetic characteristics, and developing personalized treatment regimens.
Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen), Phoenix, AZ, 2003 - 2008
Deputy Director for Discovery Research and Chairman Department of Neurogenomics
- Oversaw 250 scientists with an overall funding portfolio of $70 million per year.
- Structured the scientific goals and scope of the institute.
- Raised funding for the institute including government and private grants, strategic partnerships and foundation funds.
- Maintained a research lab focused on the discovery of genetic underpinnings of monogenic and complex genetic disorders including autism, exercise-induced heart attacks and sudden infant death syndrome, Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Parkinsons, ALS and Alzheimer's disease.
- Headed the National Institutes of Health Neuroscience Microarray Consortium through the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Society for Pediatric Research
- Member, American Association of Cancer Research
- Member, Society for Neuroscience
- American Pediatric Society and Society for Pediatric Research Association Young Investigators Award
- NIMH Advisory Panel for Complex Trait Genetics
- Bio-IT Grand Prize "Discovery and Basic Research"
- Mentor, Siemens-Westinghouse Science Fair Winners (Anne Lee and Albert Shieh)
- Affymetrix "Center of Excellence for Genotyping and Resequencing"
Publications and Patents
- Publications include over 120 articles in pier reviewed journals such as Science, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Nature Genetics and the New England Journal of Medicine
- Three published chapters in genomics and molecular medicine books
- Twelve patents filed.
- Ph.D., Human Molecular Biology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- B.S., Biology/Biochemistry, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA